What is this? I haven’t experienced this type of growth / algae before?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Slowcheetah said:
Hi,

Anyone know what this growth is? Before it was just java moss on the branches now it’s got this cottony growth over it.

any suggestions of what it is, and perhaps best way to remove it?

thanks!
Looks like brown hair algae.
Usually caused by overload of food for plants.

What is your light schedule?
Do you feed plants?
Nitrates?

OP
S

Slowcheetah

SanDiegoRedneck said:
Looks like brown hair algae.
Usually caused by overload of food for plants.

What is your light schedule?
Do you feed plants?
Nitrates?
Nothing! No ferts or anything like that.

it’s just a low tech, Java moss , fern and anubias nana and some floating duckweed.

I usually go 5-6 hours a day. Maybe the light is too good and need to cut to 4 hours?

nitrates roughly 5-10 so I would assume that’s not an issue?

FishBoy101

Well Known
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Maybe a snail or two to help. I have snails in all my tanks I think helps alot
I'd stay away from some snails. Do some research, do you want a zombie/snail apocalypse? Maybe shrimp?

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
FishBoy101 said:
I'd stay away from some snails. Do some research, do you want a zombie/snail apocalypse? Maybe shrimp?
Why would they have zombie appocolipse? Sounds like you have had snail issues?
I am firm believer that if a tank gets over ran by snails your tank is way out of balance. Too much fish food most likely.

Love love love snails I have "pest", mystery, rabbit, nerite snails.

The pest snails DONT overpopulated because my tanks don't have excess of fish food to boom population.

FishBoy101

Well Known
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Why would they have zombie appocolipse? Sounds like you have had snail issues?
I am firm believer that if a tank gets over ran by snails your tank is way out of balance. Too much fish food most likely.

Love love love snails I have "pest", mystery, rabbit, nerite snails.

The pest snails DONT overpopulated because my tanks don't have excess of fish food to boom population.
I have bladder snails ): can't seem to get rid of them, other then that, 1 in 100 guppies would eat the eggs.

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
FishBoy101 said:
I have bladder snails ): can't seem to get rid of them, other then that, 1 in 100 guppies would eat the eggs.
I have bladder snails in all my tanks. Maybe 10 to 30 depending on tank size. I think there a big help. Just my opinion

FishBoy101

Well Known
SanDiegoRedneck said:
I have bladder snails in all my tanks. Maybe 10 to 30 depending on tank size. I think there a big help. Just my opinion
They breed like crazy! I started with 5, and now 1000!

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
FishBoy101 said:
They breed like crazy!
My population stay pretty even. Maybe a boom here and a die off there... but again if they are just breeding like crazy they have enough food from somewhere to support that. Usually excess food on bottom.

FishBoy101

Well Known
SanDiegoRedneck said:
My population stay pretty even. Maybe a boom here and a die off there... but again if they are just breeding like crazy they have enough food from somewhere to support that. Usually excess food on bottom.
i do have plecos breeding, and they took over the tank. And are taking all the food. So.....

SanDiegoRedneck

Well Known
Slowcheetah said:
Would mystery snails be ok? They are the easiest available where I am.
Absolutely and you may get lucky and have babies. Also mystery snails come in a variety of colors. These do NOT multiply at the rate of bladder.

FishBoy101

Well Known
SanDiegoRedneck said:
Absolutely and you may get lucky and have babies. Also mystery snails come in a variety of colors. These do NOT multiply at the rate of bladder.
I agree, they are slow breeders, though no experience personally, my friend has praised the snails many times.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
I prefer nerites. They’re smaller and do a good job. Yes if your overrun with pest snails your over feeding. I have bladder and mts and neither are over breeding in any tank.

New Threads