What is this hanging out of her belly?

MayaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Her egg spot is much smaller and in front of the long white thing. It wasn’t there this morning. Is it poop/ is she constipated? Should I give her a pea? Thanks!
Also, the water isn’t dirty, it’s water marks on the outside of my tank from me being clumsy.

MayaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's a parasite. Recommend treating the whole tank so it won't happen again in the future. Good luck
Is it deadly? How’d she get the parasite? Why don’t my other fish have it? How’d it happen so fast? It wasn’t there this morning.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If it only has one then it may have come in with substrate or a plant or something but the good news is you can simply net the fish and take a pair of tweezers and pull it off. After that I would wait and see if more come back before you treat the whole tank as it might not be needed.

MayaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If it only has one then it may have come in with substrate or a plant or something but the good news is you can simply net the fish and take a pair of tweezers and pull it off. After that I would wait and see if more come back before you treat the whole tank.
Will it come off in one piece? If it doesn’t, should I treat the tank?

Nothing new has gone in since the fish were added. Same time as the plants.
However, I was planning on transferring them to s new bigger tank tomorrow. Is that safe to do still or should I wait and see if the parasite comes back?

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nothing new has gone in since the fish were added. Same time as the plants.
However, I was planning on transferring them to s new bigger tank tomorrow. Is that safe to do still or should I wait and see if the parasite comes back?
I would remove it and wait first so you don't contaminate the other tank just in case. And eggs takes a while to hatch sometimes it was probably on the plants.

MayaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would remove it and wait first so you don't contaminate the other tank just in case. And eggs takes a while to hatch sometimes it was probably on the plants.
Will the parasite come off in one piece? If it doesn’t what do I do? Will it harm the fish at all/ will she need bettafix or something or should I just monitor?
I’m new to this so I have a lot of questions.

Will the parasite come off in one piece? If it doesn’t what do I do? Will it harm the fish at all/ will she need bettafix or something or should I just monitor?
Also, I got the plants in my new tank from the same place. Should I treat that tank without the fish in it just to make sure I’m not reintroducing them when I do eventually move them?

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
One trick I found when removing visible parasites is hydrogen peroxide I take a q tip and soak it with peroxide and rub it on the parasite most of the time this will agitate it and it will release from the fish but if that doesn't work just remove as much as you can.

MayaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It shouldn't peroxide is safe for fish and is used pretty commonly. This whole removal process takes about 30 seconds once you put the fish back into the water everything will dissolve instantly.
Cool. Thank you so much! I’ve had my girls for about 3 weeks and was super excited to introduce them to their new tank!

Cool. Thank you so much! I’ve had my girls for about 3 weeks and was super excited to introduce them to their new tank!
Sorry last question. It’s pretty late here so I was wondering if it would be safe to wait until the morning to do it?

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry last question. It’s pretty late here so I was wondering if it would be safe to wait until the morning to do it?
It probably wouldn't hurt anything but make sure you take care of it the parasite is going to be doing the most damage here.

MayaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It probably wouldn't hurt anything but make sure you take care of it the parasite is going to be doing the most damage here.
What damage? How does it harm her? I know they’re not good but I don’t know the specifics.

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What damage? How does it harm her? I know they’re not good but I don’t know the specifics.
I'm not sure which worm this is but most of the time they either suck blood or simply feed off the fishes flesh. But my guess from the picture would be some type of leech or maybe a tape worm?

MayaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm not sure which worm this is but most of the time they either suck blood or simply feed off the fishes flesh. But my guess from the picture would be some type of leech or maybe a tape worm?
Thank you so much! I appreciate your help!

Jimmie93

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Could I try the hydrogen peroxide thing first and see if it comes off that way?
This doesn't look like a internal parasite now if it was near the fishes anus then that would be a issue I would just follow the steps I listed it's most likely just attached to the fishes flesh.

MayaBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This doesn't look like a internal parasite now if it was near the fishes anus then that would be a issue I would just follow the steps I listed it's most likely just attached to the fishes flesh.
Since it’s in front of her egg spot we’re good, right?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom