What Is This Growing On Driftwood?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by Kuru, Apr 12, 2018.

1. K

Kuru New Member Member

I put a new piece of driftwood into my 10, and now this crap is growing all over it. How do I get rid of it and what is it?

Attached Files:

2. Shannon Griscom

Shannon Griscom Valued Member Member

Looks like fungus. Did you boil it first? If not I would remove it and boil it for at least 2 hours.

3. OP
    OP
    K

Kuru New Member Member

i don't think i have anything big enough to boil it. is there any other way to handle it?

4. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlake Well Known Member Member

Seems to be some sort of fungus growing, this commonly happens when driftwood is added to a tank. It should dissipate in a while. In the meanwhile, neocaridina shrimp have picked at it when I had fungus.

5. LowieTheLoach

LowieTheLoach Valued Member Member

I put my driftwood in an ice chest and filled it with boiling water. The piece I found was a lot thicker, so I boiled it repeatedly over about a month. It got rid of any yucky stuff and all the tannins.

6. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

If at least half of it will fit in a pot you can always turn the driftwood every half hour or so. That's what I did with mine and I never got any fungus.

7. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Its pretty normal on new driftwood most fish and inverts eat it

8. OP
    OP
    K

Kuru New Member Member

So if I just let it run it's course it'll probably go away? Asking because I only have a school of ember tetras in there right now and they won't go near it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice