What is this green slime on top of my tank?

JasperBetta

So today I was doing a water change to my 10 gallon tank when I saw some green slime growing around my Amazon Frogbit. I try to take it out but it’s all slimy and like attached to plants. I don’t see any algae growing on my bottom plants or substrate or any other decorations. These are some photos I took today
D9E9A8D8-FE86-4DE8-8D08-D387B02BA37A.jpeg

FBCC7D31-B292-4688-BF4E-038081CA5C65.jpeg

4AD585EB-EC90-4D6B-8EA5-CFCB8C489AC0.jpeg

Info about my tank
10 gallons
It’s divided in the half to house 2 bettas
Both sides have a sponge filter and heater
Both side have Amazon Swords, Anubias, Java Ferns, Amazon Frogbit
I do WC weekly
Water quality .25-0, 0 Nitrite, 20 Nitrates
I doce the tank with Weekly after WC with Aquarium co-op easy green all in one fertilizer

veggieshark

The surface gaps among the frogbits may be stationary, food residue may collect in those areas and collectively stimulate algae growth.

Maybe green algae. Looking like sheet from above (or is it ball?), it kinda looks like blue-green algae as well, but it typically grows on a surface. Do you have any of this on the surface of the cover facing the water? Sometimes it grows there and pieces drop in the water.

Upvote 0

JasperBetta

The surface gaps among the frogbits may be stationary, food residue may collect in those areas and collectively stimulate algae growth.

Maybe green algae. Looking like sheet from above (or is it ball?), it kinda looks like blue-green algae as well, but it typically grows on a surface. Do you have any of this on the surface of the cover facing the water? Sometimes it grows there and pieces drop in the water.
When I pick it off where the plants are is slimy and stringy. I rub it on my fingers and it turns to a ball. I had a huge explosion of frogbits in this tank and yesterday I decided to throw like 90% of out. It was taking over all the surface of my tank. Form what I have seen it just stay on top of the water. I saw it grow too on my divider but just a bit. It’s like green hair tbh. It’s stringy idk how else to describe it. What should i do? Could it be the fertilizer that I’m using?

Upvote 0

TClare

I dont think it is blue green algae, that is more slimy, more blue in colour and not stringy, doesn’t roll into a ball and is smelly. It looks much more like green hair algae, its getting a lot of light at the top of the tank, while the frogbit is shading the lower part of the tank so that is probably why you only have algae at the top. This has happened in my floating plants as well, I just pull as much as possible out when I do a water change. It is not really harmful as long as it doesnt swamp the frogbit. cutting down the hours of light may help to control it.

Upvote 0

JasperBetta

I dont think it is blue green algae, that is more slimy, more blue in colour and not stringy, doesn’t roll into a ball and is smelly. It looks much more like green hair algae, its getting a lot of light at the top of the tank, while the frogbit is shading the lower part of the tank so that is probably why you only have algae at the top. This has happened in my floating plants as well, I just pull as much as possible out when I do a water change. It is not really harmful as long as it doesnt swamp the frogbit. cutting down the hours of light may help to control it.
Omg maybe it’s because I leave my lights on for too long. 10 hours a day! That would explain why I only have algae at the top of my tank and not the bottom. Should I use liquid fertilizers? I also have put root tabs for my Amazon Swords, 2 of them. Is that too much? I’m sorry for asking so many questions, I’m a newbie at plant keeping.

Upvote 0

Broggy

what ever it is, I know when water splashes from an airstone or maybe just evaporation, oils and films on top of the water is left on the glass. also if dust falls into the tank, there might be cat hairs and what not in the green stuff.

Upvote 0

TClare

Omg maybe it’s because I leave my lights on for too long. 10 hours a day! That would explain why I only have algae at the top of my tank and not the bottom. Should I use liquid fertilizers? I also have put root tabs for my Amazon Swords, 2 of them. Is that too much? I’m sorry for asking so many questions, I’m a newbie at plant keeping.
You could start by reducing the light to 6 or 7 hours. Probably continue with the liquid fertilizer once a week and leave the root tabs. The better the plants grow the less algae you will have. I think the light is the most important to reduce, especially since you have removed 90% of the frogbit. The plants will still be fine with only 6 hours.

Upvote 0

JasperBetta

You could start by reducing the light to 6 or 7 hours. Probably continue with the liquid fertilizer once a week and leave the root tabs. The better the plants grow the less algae you will have. I think the light is the most important to reduce, especially since you have removed 90% of the frogbit. The plants will still be fine with only 6 hours.
Will do! Thanks for the help

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Badhoneyboo22
  • Algae
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
  • Guyfromthenorth
  • Algae
Replies
Views