What Is This ? Good ? Bad?

xhimbica88

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Parameters are perfect. Everyone seems great. This is flowing in the tank. Looks stringy almost. Any thoughts ?
53948078492__502DB6B8-B04D-4542-80C8-57739A578684.JPG
53948078492__502DB6B8-B04D-4542-80C8-57739A578684.JPG

SecretiveFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your tank looks fairly young. How long has it been set up? IME cyano is part of a tank maturing but can be managed in the mean time. Improve flow near sand bed and watch your nutrients. It can take several months for the bacteria to run its course though so try not to get to frustrated!

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What are "perfect" parameters to you? Take care of the lighting issue yet?

OP
X

xhimbica88

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HarryPotter said:
What are "perfect" parameters to you? Take care of the lighting issue yet?
Yeah got a fluval Sea — great lighting— my reef tank fish store tested my water 2x in the past two weeks. Been great they said.

OP
X

xhimbica88

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
SecretiveFish said:
Your tank looks fairly young. How long has it been set up? IME cyano is part of a tank maturing but can be managed in the mean time. Improve flow near sand bed and watch your nutrients. It can take several months for the bacteria to run its course though so try not to get to frustrated!
Started nov 1st. Some guy on Craigslist was being evicted. Went to save the fish. Put them in a 30G I had while I saved up to get a nice 65G set up. Have a Fluval G6, wave maker, protein slimmer and a fluvalSEA LIGHT 48-65in light (full coverage) with live sand and red Caribsea rocks

Almost done with a fishless cycle.

My local reef store has been helping me

They tested water on the 65G and said hopefully next week I can try moving the fish etc over.

But this purple algae appeared in the 30G on Saturday.

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Anemones will not do well with that lighting unless they are about three inches below the fixture. Your fixture has 60 Watts, and according to its specifications you will have well under 50 par getting to the anemones. Not nearly enough.

I know it sucks and you’ll want to try it for a while first, but I’m speaking from years of experience as a hobbiest and retailer. They’ll get smaller and smaller, and then have a gaping mouth. You can look at the PAR specifications yourself of the fixture and compare them to the anemones known requirements. No good.

For some perspective, a $99 fixture a third of its size has 165watts.

If your fish store is selling you anemones during a cycle, I wouldn’t go there anymore. They are more sensitive than fish to instability, known to release from the rocks when unhappy and get shredded in powerheads or filtration. stella1979

OP
X

xhimbica88

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Who said they are selling me anemone? And my 65G is cycling on its own / fishless. Different tank from my 30G obviously.

OP
X

xhimbica88

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HarryPotter said:
Anemones will not do well with that lighting unless they are about three inches below the fixture. Your fixture has 60 Watts, and according to its specifications you will have well under 50 par getting to the anemones. Not nearly enough.

I know it sucks and you’ll want to try it for a while first, but I’m speaking from years of experience as a hobbiest and retailer. They’ll get smaller and smaller, and then have a gaping mouth. You can look at the PAR specifications yourself of the fixture and compare them to the anemones known requirements. No good.

For some perspective, a $99 fixture a third of its size has 165watts.

If your fish store is selling you anemones during a cycle, I wouldn’t go there anymore. They are more sensitive than fish to instability, known to release from the rocks when unhappy and get shredded in powerheads or filtration. stella1979

Who said they are selling me anemone? And my 65G is cycling on its own / fishless. Different tank from my 30G obviously.

HarryPotter

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
xhimbica88 said:
My bad, I misunderstood.

The issue of lighting still applies.

OP
X

xhimbica88

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
HarryPotter said:
My bad, I misunderstood.

The issue of lighting still applies.
No it doesn’t. Works just fine. Wasn’t even asking about lighting. Just what type of algae. Thx.

New Threads