What is this “ghost” shark I have?

Helenaclaire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
First post here... hello! So My boyfriend and I bought what was labeled as a “ghost shark” today. When we got home we looked it up and there is literally no such thing as a ghost shark. All we keep turning up is a rainbow shark, but our “ghost shark” is black with transparent fins. There was also no one else that looked like her. Can anyone help us figure out what we got? I’ve read that they can lose their colors as they age, but she clearly just has totally transparent fins. Thanks!!

Attachments

OP
Helenaclaire

Helenaclaire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
this is the best I have been able to get. If you look closely at the photos though, you’ll see the fins are totally transparent.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That is a rainbow shark.
This coloration is not common though as to why the misleading ghost fish...this is not a ghost knife fish. I have both species.
My l.f.s friend had this type of rainbow and said it is un common and they all refer to them as blue rainbow sharks...

OP
Helenaclaire

Helenaclaire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wrench said:
That is a rainbow shark.
This coloration is not common though as to why the misleading ghost fish...this is not a ghost knife fish. I have both species.
My l.f.s friend had this type of rainbow and said it is un common and they all refer to them as blue rainbow sharks...
Thank you. We also have a ghost knife fish in the tank, it’s beautiful! The shark was specifically named “ghost shark” at the store, but other than the person’s post above, I have not been able to find any rainbow sharks with ours’ coloration... or miscoloration... Guess we do just have a rare one!

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Helenaclaire said:
Thank you. We also have a ghost knife fish in the tank, it’s beautiful! The shark was specifically named “ghost shark” at the store, but other than the person’s post above, I have not been able to find any rainbow sharks with ours’ coloration... or miscoloration... Guess we do just have a rare one!
What size tank do you have? Ghost knifes get 20inches and as around as a football.
Their was another post on here a month or so ago asking the same thing about the blue rainbow sharks lol, some gain fin color as they get older and they become darker blue and some fins become opaque apparently and their bodies color stays that gray blue color.
This is my rainbow shark,look at his body and your fishes....identical.
15938759744236555734417364515807.jpg

OP
Helenaclaire

Helenaclaire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wrench said:
What size tank do you have? Ghost knifes get 20inches and as around as a football.
Their was another post on here a month or so ago asking the same thing about the blue rainbow sharks lol, some gain fin color as they get older and they become darker blue and some fins become opaque apparently and their bodies color stays that gray blue color.
This is my rainbow shark,look at his body and your fishes....identical.
15938759744236555734417364515807.jpg
Yes, the bodies are the same! Just different fin colorings. The tank is a 70 gallon tank

JuiceBox52

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Helenaclaire said:
Yes, the bodies are the same! Just different fin colorings. The tank is a 70 gallon tank
The BGK will outgrow this tank. They cannot bend their spines and need a tank that they can fully turn around in, this means at least at least 24 inches front to back

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Helenaclaire said:
You will eventually need 150+ to house him.
How big is he? 70 will do for awhile but not long enough haha,as soon as the swap meets open back up here I'm gonna ditch my 55 and 28 gallon and get a 300+ for my living room, put all the huge guys in that and the rest in my 135.

OP
Helenaclaire

Helenaclaire

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I might be exporting my black knife to you then! We didn’t realize they’d get that large ... doesn’t sound like 70 gallons is even half big enough

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Helenaclaire said:
I might be exporting my black knife to you then! We didn’t realize they’d get that large ... doesn’t sound like 70 gallons is even half big enough
If you can keep him alive all the way to southern California I will gladly take him.
One black ghost knife in each big tank would be cool, b.t.w my guy at the l.f.s said he only gets them one or two times a year so you should feel lucky to have a black ghost knife as they are apparently rare.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom