What is this fuzz?

1. kaleyconniving Member Member

I have 1.5 gallon fish bowl I keep a betta in, there is black and red gravel with one fake plant. Ever since it has been set up there has been this white dust looking stuff accumulating on the gravel/ornament but only on the top layers no under gravel. I can not figure out what it is, and the betta doesn't seem to mind it he's happy swimming around and everything. None on him, no discoloration, no gil issues, fins are perfect. And every once in a while an oil slick seems to form over the top of the water. Any ideas?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

The white stuff could be a few different things. It could be a calcium build up, but it could also be white mold/fungus. How frequently do you do water changes? How much are you feeding? And what type of filter are you using? :)

3. kaleyconniving Member Member

I do water changes every week and syphon the gravel every other, I do not feed very often or much if anything he's underfed because I don't want leftover to cause a spike since I do not have a filter, he is in a regular I would say goldfish bowl just bigger. I live in the city and use prime water conditioner

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app