What is this fish??

guppyguppy

hii. I got this fish few days back and the store keeper told me its a swordtail. but when I checked internet, swordtail looks quite different. if it really is a swordtail...is it a male or a female?? i'm new into this hobby. please help. also, I would be greatly delighted if anyone could tell me how to distinguish sex of this kind of fish.

Attachments

Butterfly

Welcome to FishLore!
It's definitely a male and could be a swordtail that hasn't grown it's sword yet. Very pretty fish.
Carol

Amanda

I think it's def. a swordtail, some of them have a double looking sword like that.

bolivianbaby

Welcome to Fishlore!

It looks like a swordtail to me as well.

pepetj

It may be a Red Lire Tail Platy. It's definitely a male.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

Aquarist

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore

Well, it's either a Platy or a Sword for sure. lol

Here are a couple of links that may help you with the ID and the sexing of live bearers:

Ken

Chris123

Diffrent types of swords have diffrent fin types so they may not always show the sword.

He a male probaly with lyretail gene

CB

wonton55912

welcome to fishlore
that's a swordtail

platy ben

Clearly we've clarified this is a sword, however, anyone else see the young iridescent sharks face in the first pic? Not good

wonton55912

I circled the gonopodium in a different swordtail. the next pic is my female platy (which is closley related to the swordtail) that doesn't have a gonopodium. I am stating that females don't have gonopodiums.

Attachments

bolivianbaby

platy ben said:
Clearly we've clarified this is a sword, however, anyone else see the young iridescent sharks face in the first pic? Not good
Huh? I can't see them Am I old or just not looking close enough?

cm11599ps

bolivianbaby said:
Huh? I can't see them Am I old or just not looking close enough?
Top right corner of the first pic.

phishyitis

I agree red velvet high fin lyre-tail sword(young male)

Top Bottom