What is this fish?

SharkBait91

Got some fish today free and not sure what this is. I was thinking a Chinese algae eater but he's like 4 to 6 inches long.

jinjerJOSH22

I think that's a Chinese Algae Eater.

SharkBait91

I think that's a Chinese Algae Eater.
He's so big. Crazy. I'm gonna have to give him up though. From what I remember he will eat my guppies.

Crispii

Agree with jinjerJOSH22. It's a Chinese algae eater.

jinjerJOSH22

He's so big. Crazy. I'm gonna have to give him up though. From what I remember he will eat my guppies.
According to what I read they can roughly double that size, don't know how true that is.

Momgoose56

According to what I read they can roughly double that size, don't know how true that is.
Nope. Not Chinese Algae eater (thank your stars for that!) I just found this website that has pics of the 4 algae eaters: Chinese, Siamese, Flying Fox and Cambodian Logsucker (false Flying fox) that are frequently mistaken for each other.
He looks like the Logsucker to me. They can get up to about 6 inches!
https://aquanswers.com/wp-content/u...foxfish-vs-chinese-algae-eater-difference.jpg
And this site says your Guppys are in no danger from him

jinjerJOSH22

Nope. Not Chinese Algae eater (thank your stars for that!) I just found this website that has pics of the 4 algae eaters: Chinese, Siamese, Flying Fox and Cambodian Logsucker (false Flying fox) that are frequently mistaken for each other.
https://aquanswers.com/wp-content/u...foxfish-vs-chinese-algae-eater-difference.jpg
I think you might be right. The link doesn't work for me but the CAE looks like it has a freckling down it's lateral line where the log sucker doesn't.

Anthony1976

It’s a nice looking fish nonetheless.

Momgoose56

I think you might be right. The link doesn't work for me but the CAE looks like it has a freckling down it's lateral line where the log sucker doesn't.
Here's a better link. Scroll down through the article and there's a good drawing of the 4 algae eaters to compare
What to Know Before Purchasing a Siamese Algae Eater

jinjerJOSH22

Here's a better link. Scroll down through the article and there's a good drawing of the 4 algae eaters to compare
What to Know Before Purchasing a Siamese Algae Eater
It seems very obvious looking at that 100% right good catch.

Momgoose56

It seems very obvious looking at that 100% right good catch.
So, luckee! You got a really nice free fish that won't eat your guppys!

SharkBait91

And this site says your Guppys are in no danger from him
That does look like him. Cool! Thanks!

So, luckee! You got a really nice free fish that won't eat your guppys!
This town is full of people giving free fish tanks and fish away. Almost everything I got was free. Literally only paid for food because I wanted better quality and paid for bristnose places and blue mystery snails lol everything else I got free. I'm about to add more decor to my tank. I'll post pics soon.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tetraman124
  • Question
Replies
Views
Wanda2
Replies
Views
alauruin
Replies