What Is This Fish? Question

1. G

Gavin Chalmers Valued Member Member

I caught this fish in a creek behind my house and do not know what it is if anybody knows what it is please tell me. Thanks IMG_1251.JPG

2. AquaticJ

AquaticJ Well Known Member Member

3. r_e_g

r_e_g Valued Member Member

It looks like a darter to me. Do a Google image search and see if you can figure out the species (or wait for someone for knowledgeable to chime in).

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

Looks a bit like an orange darter, where do you live?

5. OP
    OP
    G

Gavin Chalmers Valued Member Member

NorthWest Arkansas

6. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

That’s awesome.

7. BettaFishKeeper4302

BettaFishKeeper4302 Well Known Member Member

Has to be a rainbow darter or at least a darter of some sort after doing some research. I recommend looking it up.

8. DuaneV

DuaneV Well Known Member Member

Better check your local laws, doing that here in Maine is illegal. Really not a good idea, especially if you dont know what the species is. LOTS of problems not only US but world wide with "bucket biologists".

9. Fishaholic58

Fishaholic58 Valued Member Member

I was kinda thinking the same lol. I wouldn’t think that it was meant for a tank....

10. T

Td644 New Member Member

Based on my very limited knowledge of Darters I'm going with Redfin but I really have no clue what it is.

11. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a Darter, but it is neither Orangethroat or Rainbow. Both of those have bright blue bars on the body. @Td644 is probably correct, the Redfin Darter, Etheostoma whipplei, does have the closest resemblance. Some of the missing color could simply be that the fish is still scared. But the range is correct, and the scattered red/orange spots on the body appear to be fairly unique.

Probably not illegal in Arkansas, but I agree checking is a good idea. A lot of people keep Darters in their aquaria; European and Asian hobbyists would love to get such species. We tend to ignore all but a few natives in the US for the most part, but there are a number of enthusiasts who keep many native species, and they formed the North American Native Fish Association. I've even kept a couple of Orangethroats myself, fascinating and intelligent little fish.

12. ghostlybosun

ghostlybosun Valued Member Member

Hey there from South of the border, just wanted to let you know that while the darter isn't listed as legal you can actually catch and keep the following (live and in Maine) as they are considered bait fish by your state and mine.
    Common Shiner
    Golden Shiner
    Blacknose Dace
    Finescale Dace
    Northern Redbelly Dace
    Pearl Dace
    Creek Chub
    Lake Chub
    Eastern Silvery Minnow
    Fathead Minnow
    FallfishSmelt
    Longnose Sucker
    White Sucker
    Banded Killifish
    Mummichog
    American Eel
    Not saying you would, just letting you know that if you wanted to you could (or if you happen upon someone else doing it)
    Just need a fishing license!
    You need another license if you wanted to sell them though and anything considered a gamefish needs to be released immediately or kept (killed before transport) within the bag limits and size requirements of course.
    I only know this because I'd love to have a native tank one day and reserched the laws. Alas, no room for new tanks.

Please verify laws before acting on the above as laws can change even by body of water. Calling fish and game never hurts.