What Is This Fish!?

Lynn78too

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's a cute fish! Do what I'm pretty sure our Petsmart does, make up a name and charge $3.99.

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it's definetly a species of gudgeon, just not sure on the type. It looks similar to a empire gudgeon but their are slight differences. I'll keep looking but gudgeon should put you on the right track.

Td644

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm with Dutch it looks a lot like a sub adult empire gudgeon but I don't know enough for a positive ID.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it is a young Empire Gudgeon. There are similar species, but I don't know of any of those reaching the hobby. It is less common in the hobby than the Stiphodon, which have become very popular of late. It also gets quite a bit larger, I've seen 4 inch males. And usually more expensive, as well.

Td644

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Chad77 said:
Thank you for the ID. Now I have another question because that fish is beautiful. Would it do okay in a tank with German blue rams, black neon tetra, panda garra and peppered Cory cats?
To my limited understanding everything but the Black Neon's shouldn't be a problem if you have the set up for it. Though I hear Gudgeon's like brackish water and nothing else on that list does. But again I'm no expert on them and have seen conflicting info.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Empire Gudgeons are a purely freshwater species. I don't see anything on that list that they would have a problem with, though the Rams would prefer warmer water than the other fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom