What Is This Fish!?

1. C

Chad77 New Member Member

2. Lynn78too

Lynn78too Well Known Member Member

It's a cute fish! Do what I'm pretty sure our Petsmart does, make up a name and charge $3.99.

3. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

it's definetly a species of gudgeon, just not sure on the type. It looks similar to a empire gudgeon but their are slight differences. I'll keep looking but gudgeon should put you on the right track.

4. T

Td644 New Member Member

I'm with Dutch it looks a lot like a sub adult empire gudgeon but I don't know enough for a positive ID.

5. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I think it is a young Empire Gudgeon. There are similar species, but I don't know of any of those reaching the hobby. It is less common in the hobby than the Stiphodon, which have become very popular of late. It also gets quite a bit larger, I've seen 4 inch males. And usually more expensive, as well.

6. OP
    OP
    C

Chad77 New Member Member

Thank you for the ID. Now I have another question because that fish is beautiful. Would it do okay in a tank with German blue rams, black neon tetra, panda garra and peppered Cory cats?

7. T

Td644 New Member Member

To my limited understanding everything but the Black Neon's shouldn't be a problem if you have the set up for it. Though I hear Gudgeon's like brackish water and nothing else on that list does. But again I'm no expert on them and have seen conflicting info.

8. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Empire Gudgeons are a purely freshwater species. I don't see anything on that list that they would have a problem with, though the Rams would prefer warmer water than the other fish.