What Is This Fish?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by ChickenLittleCocoa, Apr 7, 2017.

1. ChickenLittleCocoa

ChickenLittleCocoaNew MemberMember

Caught in a pond in Florida zone 9b. It is a very long fish, has a minnow like tail, hops along the bottom rather than swims. Aggressively attacks the ghost shrimp and minnows in my tank.

2. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

3. Vortexed

VortexedValued MemberMember

Why did you catch a pond fish and put it in your fish tank...?

4. slayer5590

slayer5590Well Known MemberMember

It is a species of darter.

5. OP
    OP
    ChickenLittleCocoa

ChickenLittleCocoaNew MemberMember

Darter! Thanks so much. Wish I came here first. I have been searching for the answer for awhile.

I'm guessing your asking me in a blasting sort of tone, but I will answer anyways...since you asked. Our back patio is like a science center for my 4 year old son and I. We have an outside tank full of stuff we have caught from the pond. He has learned a lot from it. We have dragon fly and other types of nymphs, ghost shrimp, 3 different species of minnows, baby bass, bream, a toe biter, a water stick bug and tons of different types of water beetles and other critters we haven't identified yet. We take very good care of our fish. It is hooked into an aquaponics systems so we can learn how plants grow.
    We also raise mealworms, lady bug larvae and praying mantis eggs. We catch bugs and put them in an aquarium. It says my pictures are too large to post, but we even have a website dedicated to what we do.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  6. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Looks like a swamp Darter, Etheostoma fusiforme, fairly common in Florida ponds. Unlike most Darters, they don't need a high rate of water flow. I used to catch them in a a small pond just east of Jacksonville.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice