What is this fish?

AmandaB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I ate at a restaurant in Des Moines Iowa (cant remember its name) and they had a huge fish tank and this was one of the fish in it. What kind of fish is it? Anyone know?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like a trigger fish to me.

Their skin is so tough that I broke a knife trying to fillet one. I couldn't penetrate it, even stabbing at the fish (that's how I broke it). VERY tasty

Matt B

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also think it may be a trigger fish, though I am no saltie, I had one try to eat me snorkeling in Hawaii and it really looked like that guy.

AmandaB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
This was a restaurant "pet" not being offered as a meal (not like red lobster does with lobsters)... lol

Though it was a sushi house! :O

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Threadmoved to "ID Help"

How big was this guy? Any tank mates?

AmandaB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
8 or 9 inches, he had a 2 other tank mates but I didn't get their pictures (too fast).

One looked like the body shape of a "tang" (like dory off of finding nemo :rolleyes but wasn't any kind of tang I have been able to find a picture of so far. It was tanish-yellow-white with black stripes and its dorsal fin could be "raise" to make itself look bigger (kind of like an anole lizard's throat)

The other was a kind of parrot fish i THINK? It kept picking up sand and spitting it at the "tang" type fish. lol!

I found the name of the place so I guess if you REALLY wanna know you could call?

Taki Japanese Steak House (scroll down and there is a picture of the tank in the background, it dont show the fish though) :
http://www.takisteakhouse.com/the_gallery.html

This is what the "parrot fish" one was:

a triggerfish?
source:Wikimedia Commons, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picasso_triggerfish
or it could of been this one:

-It was over a month ago that I was there... *scratches head*

The "tang" one looked a lot like this one but not as big of a fin on top even when it opened. Most the time while swimming the fin was flat against its body, it only open it as a threat display (i think) to the other fish.:

Last edited by a moderator:
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom