What is this fish?

Discussion in 'ID Help - Identify This' started by AmandaB, Dec 15, 2012.

1. AmandaB

AmandaB Valued Member Member

I ate at a restaurant in Des Moines Iowa (cant remember its name) and they had a huge fish tank and this was one of the fish in it. What kind of fish is it? Anyone know?

[​IMG]

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Looks like a trigger fish to me.

Their skin is so tough that I broke a knife trying to fillet one. I couldn't penetrate it, even stabbing at the fish (that's how I broke it). VERY tasty :)

3. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I also think it may be a trigger fish, though I am no saltie, I had one try to eat me snorkeling in Hawaii and it really looked like that guy.

4. J

JessiNoel21 Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    AmandaB

This was a restaurant "pet" not being offered as a meal (not like red lobster does with lobsters)... lol

Though it was a sushi house! :O

6. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

:;du Threadmoved to "ID Help"

How big was this guy? Any tank mates?

7. OP
    OP
    AmandaB

8 or 9 inches, he had a 2 other tank mates but I didn't get their pictures (too fast).

One looked like the body shape of a "tang" (like dory off of finding nemo :rolleyes:) but wasn't any kind of tang I have been able to find a picture of so far. It was tanish-yellow-white with black stripes and its dorsal fin could be "raise" to make itself look bigger (kind of like an anole lizard's throat)

The other was a kind of parrot fish i THINK? It kept picking up sand and spitting it at the "tang" type fish. lol! :;smack

I found the name of the place so I guess if you REALLY wanna know you could call? :D

Taki Japanese Steak House (scroll down and there is a picture of the tank in the background, it dont show the fish though) :(:

This is what the "parrot fish" one was:

a triggerfish?
    [​IMG]
    source:Wikimedia Commons, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picasso_triggerfish
    or it could of been this one:

-It was over a month ago that I was there... *scratches head*

The "tang" one looked a lot like this one but not as big of a fin on top even when it opened. Most the time while swimming the fin was flat against its body, it only open it as a threat display (i think) to the other fish.:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2012
  8. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Ahhhh. Salt water fish are amazing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice