What Is This Fish? Slow Grower

GizmoDog

Reaction score
I picked this fish up about 2 months ago. They sold it as an "Electric Blue Acei". When I purchased the fish, it was very blue. Now, it is mostly grey with just a tiny amount of blue in the right light. Also, it is looking like a female?

Another thing is how slow this fish has grown, if at all. The strawberry peacock was purchased at the same time and they were the same size. As you can see, huge difference in growth. Any ideas?

Photo of fish the day I purchased:
xf9Ak5V.png

Photo Taken Today:
pQNr5pT.jpg

Size comparison:
5S5RyYw.jpg

All other fish in tank are doing great and very colorful. Water params are consistently great. And nobody picks on this fish, is left alone mostly.

Seasoldier

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi & welcome, I'm no expert on L Malawi cichlids but it looks like what it was sold as to me. It's colour is really washed out though for some reason, have you tried a change of diet?

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It was probably sold as an Electric Blue Ahli, not Acei, maybe the store just misspelled the name. It was hormoned to bring out color in a juvenile fish, and the hormones are wearing off so that you can see it is a female, rather than a male.

Bear in mind that there's also a better than average chance that the fish is a hybrid between the Sciaenochromis and Aulonocara.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom