What is this fish. Is this a red devil or midas?

1. maniacyosh1986 Initiate Member

Hey picked this fish up when it was a juvie. Now it's 20 cm and I'm not sure what it is. It hasn't colour morphed and was wondering if it will

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Hey not sure if this is a devil or midas but she has just laid eggs and is at 23 cm will she get bigger? About to move her from her 4 Foot to 8 foot :) go the 900 liters lol

Attached Files:

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. maniacyosh1986 Initiate Member

Cheers Ken I'll check it out

4. hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

You can tell by the face that it's a hybrid. It has Amphilophus in it, probably Midas/Devil (these are two seperate species but most that are in the hobby are hybrids between the two). The body, colours and stripes (1st pic) say Amphilophus, but the face doesn't, nor does the grey colour of the other pics.

I can't tell what it was hybridised with...

5. maniacyosh1986 Initiate Member

If this help this is the bottom 2 pictures at about 4 inches. The top picture is my other fish. She has just laid eggs. I thought it was a boy cause of the extended tails and start of a hump. It is a very aggressive fish. Killed my jaguar and tried to kill the Grey one.

Attached Files:

6. Slug Well Known Member Member

Amphilophus zaliosus? Amphilophus sagittae black variant?

7. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Red Devils and Midas are not the same fish. Although they have been commonly mixed, and what you buy at the LFS may very well be a hybrid of the 2. If you are looking for a Red Devil, Amphilophus labiatus, or a Midas, Amphilophus Citrinellus, ones that are not hybrids, look at reputable breeders and sellers like Jeff Rapps.

As far as the OP's fish, I think Slug has the best guess. I was thinking it was a barred midas with some red devil in it. But Amphilophus zaliosus or Amphilophus sagittae seem like an excellent possibility.

8. maniacyosh1986 Initiate Member

Yeah I had a Google and the zaliosus and sagittae are both so similar but they do look like them.guess it will likely stay a mystery haha. Thanks heaps

9. maniacyosh1986 Initiate Member

Just an update. I asked Jeff rapps and he said the top is definitely a barred labiatus and even thought it was one of his it looks that good haha. And the second he cannot id. At least I know what one is