What is this eating my snail eggs?

Gwlson7

My mystery snail laid a clutch of eggs about a week ago, I noticed that it was slowly sliding down the glass toward the water, so I removed it and placed it in a cup with a damp paper towel and floated it in the tank. I just looked at it this morning and the eggs seem to be eaten and there are several of these black bugs. I can’t seem to find anything online that looks quite right. I’m assuming the baby snails are toast but are the bugs harmful to my betta or mommy snail? Any idea how to get rid of them? They seem to only be out of the water.
You must be registered to see images

richiep

Those black bugs do they look like this

Upvote 0

oliviast4r

I've seen some people have problems with bugs similar looking to this eating their land snail eggs. They were fruit flies/gnats eating their snail eggs. If they're the same bugs then the betta will eat them, though I'm unsure about the snail. Still try to get rid of them either way just in case since its basically a hit or miss.

If they are gnats, there is many ways to get rid of them. I had the gnat problem with plants so we just followed a recipe on the internet. You can search up gnat trap on a browser and there's many ways you can trap them.

Upvote 0

Gwlson7

Those black bugs do they look like this
It’s hard to tell. Mine look a little bit more beetle shaped than those.
You must be registered to see images

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

I always remove the eggs immediately when I see them and keep them in a closed container, just to prevent fungus gnats from finding them and laying eggs in them. The gnat eggs hatch, and the larvae eat the snail eggs before pupating and becoming adult flies.

Upvote 0

Gwlson7

I've seen some people have problems with bugs similar looking to this eating their land snail eggs. They were fruit flies/gnats eating their snail eggs. If they're the same bugs then the betta will eat them, though I'm unsure about the snail. Still try to get rid of them either way just in case since its basically a hit or miss.

If they are gnats, there is many ways to get rid of them. I had the gnat problem with plants so we just followed a recipe on the internet. You can search up gnat trap on a browser and there's many ways you can trap them.
That makes sense. My houseplants have had a gnat outbreak recently.
Thanks everyone. Should I remove the eggs and just assume the gnats got to them? Or is there a chance I might get some babies?

Upvote 0

richiep

I can see them better in the second photo they look different

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

WAIT I just saw the second picture. Those are some sort of globular springtails. Very beneficial in most cases, however will eat anything they can if not provided with food. In aquariums, they float on the surface and live there, feeding on biofilm and left over food. They’re super beneficial for tanks. One or two must have hitched a ride on the eggs, and started eating them due to lack of other food sources. Get the springtails back to your tank (or get rid of them), and you may be able to salvage a few eggs.

Upvote 0

Gwlson7

WAIT I just saw the second picture. Those are some sort of globular springtails. Very beneficial in most cases, however will eat anything they can if not provided with food. In aquariums, they float on the surface and live there, feeding on biofilm and left over food. They’re super beneficial for tanks. One or two must have hitched a ride on the eggs, and started eating them due to lack of other food sources. Get the springtails back to your tank (or get rid of them), and you may be able to salvage a few eggs.
Thank you! Can I rinse the eggs quickly in the tank to get rid of the bugs? Or what do you suggest?

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Thank you! Can I rinse the eggs quickly in the tank to get rid of the bugs? Or what do you suggest?
That should work. I would also add some soaked fish food to the egg container for them to eat instead of the eggs incase one or two don't come off in the tank. If the fish food molds, don't worry about it. Springtails also eat mold. Just don't let it spread to the eggs and they'll be fine.

Upvote 0

richiep

Why not take the eggs out completely leaving the bugs behind

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Sheldon13
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies