What Is This Creatures In My Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by shrimpppp, Apr 11, 2017.

1. s

shrimpppp New Member Member

I noticed that there are tiny dust-like creatures in my nano shrimp tank. They are really small and they move. There are a lot of them in the tank. I have 2 ghost shrimps, nerite snail and water plants in my tank. There is heater and light but no filter. I wonder if they will harm plants or shrimps. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Planaria i think? Harmful to fish, can get abit over populated when theres excess food available

3. OP
    OP
    s

Ok I feed shrimps some algae wafers but if I don't feed shrimps, will shrimps eat them?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  4. r

rena7874 Valued Member Member

Most likely detritus worms, not planaria. Harmless but indicative of dirty substrate

5. OP
    OP
    s

I looked it up but this is smaller than planaria. These are like little dust particles moving around

6. p

polishedash New Member Member

My first thought were some kind of daphnia.

7. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    This may help:  

8. p

Maybe?

9. OP
    OP
    s

Thanks for the fast reply! :) so are they harmful in my tank? And will shrimps or snail eat them?

10. p

I don't think they are harmful if that's what they are. I know you feed them to triops, which are a type of shrimp, when they are little I believe. It's been years since I kept them! So maybe take that with a grain of salt. But I'd not feed the shrimp and see if they can catch them. Maybe not feed and do a water change to reduce the numbers if they seem that out of control.

11. OP
    OP
    s

Ok :) I think I will get some red cherry shrimps and they will helps in the tank. Thank you very much!

12. KelceyMaeraei

KelceyMaeraei Valued Member Member

Are you talking about the white specks on the glass or that brown thing? If it's the specks on the glass, I would guess detritus. My nano shrimp tank has them too. If it's that other thing then I have no idea

13. bakpau

bakpau Valued Member Member

I have those too, although not alot. Usually the longer time i change the water, the more they grow. I dont think they are dangerous, my betta likes to eat them.

14. Tiny_Tanganyikans

Tiny_Tanganyikans Well Known Member Member

They're a type of plankton. They're beneficial.

15. allllien

allllien Well Known Member Member

Are they in the water, or moving around on the glass? If they're on the glass, I think I had them in my tanks once.. they've long since disappeared though. I noticed they came out at night, so if you're lights are off and you turn them on when entering the room, you'll see loads of them just above the gravel, moving around on the glass. They're like tiny little white worms about 2mm long. I'm not sure where they came from or how/why they disappeared, but they never affected my tanks. Just don't get a leech though, I once had a couple come in on a plant somehow, freaked me out trying to remove them lol

I just found out what they're called (if they're the same as the ones I had) -Rhabdoceola, and yes, they go away on their own :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  16. OP
    OP
    s

Some of them are on the glass in the water but not necessarily. But seems like it's not bad!

17. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Can you Google copepods and see if that matches? Pods are not harmful to your tank. Many people actually add them. Especially in saltwater.

18. OP
    OP
    s

Hey guys! I posted before with same topic but I just want to make sure what it is. So I filmed video of it to make sure it's not harmful otherwise I can remove them. Because I'm going to get red cherry shrimps. There are some waterplants, marimo ball and nerite snail. So I got video this time

I couldn't upload video here so I did it on youtube.

19. EternalDancer

EternalDancer Well Known Member Member

It's only a guess...

I'd say they're just water fleas...?

20. OP
    OP
    s

It's too small to be flea though

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice