What Is This Creature?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Dooni, Apr 23, 2018.

1. DooniNew MemberMember

Hello. I have a bladder snail tank and a few days ago I wasn't seeing as many snails running around and I noticed a bunch of empty shells. I was scooping the shells out and I noticed this little guy (pics attached). I have no idea what it is or how it got into my tank or if it was eating my snails. It seems to walk pretty slow, but it swims really fast and in a snake/eel like motion. It uses its front legs like a praying mantis does, but doesn't keep them in the "boxing" stance. Any information would be great, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. GlamCrab

GlamCrabWell Known MemberMember

I know its a nymph of something, but i dont know if its a dragonfly or something else, sorry.

3. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

I learned from @chromedome52 that this is a Mayfly nymph. See the quote above.

4. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

Damselfly nymph. Maybe.....

5. Demeter

DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Mayfly nymphs look a fair bit different, they are refereed to wrigglers and often used for fishing. They have these feathery gills running along either side of their body, and this nymph does not have those. That looks like a damselfly judging from the forked tail.

6. Ms rose

Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

Could either be a drogonfly nymph... bad
    Or
    A mayfly nymph... not bad

7. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

I had a nano with one of those once, and one day he just...disappeared...guess he finally grew up flew the coop! Shouldn't be a major issue at all.

8. OP
    OP
    D

DooniNew MemberMember

Thanks guys! I did some looking up after you told me it was a nymph. I think it is a damselfly nymph. The mayfly nymph isn't as slender as this one is. Damselfly nymphs, as well as adults, are predatory, which would explain my snails disappearing.

I already moved my snails since I didn't know why there were so many empty shells, but the baby bladders are so tiny, I couldn't move them. :(

Thanks so much for the prompt help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice