What is this cory called?

1. aviatorcories Initiate Member

I have two corydoras of the same species, who seem pretty happy. I can hardly find any pictures of their types online (in my fish book it identifies them as bluespotted corydoras).

The pet store I got my 6 year old cory sold them under Schwarzii, not bluespotted. This confused me.

Here is what they look like:They have tan heads and bodies, they're about three inches long, they're definitely cories, they have a large black stripe going down from their dorsal, and also one across their eye. They also have a peach colored stripe near the top of their heads, but it's short. They also have spots on them and decent sized whiskers for a corydoras.

I'm trying to find these cories but the pet store we got them from told us they never sold them. They must be rare, or a mistake purchase. I only have two and I would like to get another one in case something happens. I know they're very lonely by themselves because when I was a new fish-carer I bought only one of this type of cory and it seemed lonely and acted strange. Right now they are both very healthy. Can someone help identify?

2. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Hello there!
    Hmm. A picture is worth a thousand words in this case. Can you take a photo, even from a camera phone?

From your description they almost sound like skunk cories. Very hard to tell for sure, because there are SO MANY varieties of corydoras.

3. RogueAgent94 Fishlore Legend Member

Is this it ?

[​IMG]

4. sanjin Well Known Member Member

5. aviatorcories Initiate Member

Yes, this looks like my cories. So just to be sure, they are not schwarziis and are bluespotted?

6. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

It may be just a different name of the same species. I run into this a lot at one of my local stores. The owner puts out the name that the fish is shipped under but quite often adds another known by name to the list to help people out.

Really the best way to go about it is to find the latin name and go from there.