What is this? Centipede looking thing

1. WombatCowboy Member Member

This was in my fresh water community tank. What is it?!? Is it just a centipede that crawled in?

2016-06-08 (1).jpg 2016-06-08.jpg

2. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like, well, a centipede.

3. WombatCowboy Member Member

Thats what I thought too! Thing was just chilling in the tank though and I never heard of a fresh water bristle worm.

4. Platylover Fishlore VIP Member

That's so strange though, I've had some insects in my tank, but never a centipede! What are you going to do with it?

5. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

*shudders* centipedes are cool and all but NO THANKS get out of my tank!!!!!!! I will let you run all over my hands in the garden but stay the heck away from my fishies! Eek 0_0

6. Quibbles Member Member

AAAAAHHH! That thing is terrifying! How do you think it would have gotten in?

7. WombatCowboy Member Member

It's in my quarantine tank right now. I was going to let him go outside but if it was some "aquatic" centipede I never heard of I didn't want him to die. but I guess if it's a regular centipede eventually he'll run out of air, bit of a catch 22

8. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Welp. I can't find anything on a freshwater aquatic centipede. That thing is definitely terrestrial. They may be like earth worms though. They can survive under water for a while but will eventually drown. Ill hopefully get the species for ya in a sec.

9. MinhMai Member Member

Kill it with fire!

10. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Looks like a Lithobius fortficatus or variegatus. I'd say L. Fortficatus. They have 15 pairs of leggies and are around 3-4cm fully grown. Looks like this little guys crawled up into your tank in search of food. It probably sensed the damp/wet and fell in. Hope this helps!

Edit: Oh and these guys are terrestrial so good job on releasing it back outside! You just got an overly curious critter

11. WombatCowboy Member Member

Thanks thats what my googling found too, it's almost worst though that means there are/was a centipede in my bedroom...

12. BlackNotebookTanks Well Known Member Member

Hehehe don't worry. Little critter probably crawled through a window or vent ^_^ in our house we always find weird insects and small mammals when its hot out, because all the windows and doors are left open!

13. Cef Member Member

14. WombatCowboy Member Member

I keep a salt tank and have delt with bristle worms a lot. This guy wasn't similar really. I honestly think it was just a pede that fell in.

Thanks though sorry I freaked...