Help What Is This Bug?

Goldmoon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So... I was getting my pea puffers their frozen bloodworms and as the block was melting in the cup of water, this little bug unfroze with it. I immediately moved the bloodworms to a different cup and got some pictures of it. So the question is; is this bug harmful and what is it? I’ve never seen anything like it and it was really tiny— like one millimeter at most— so even a picture was difficult to get. I worry that the bloodworms are contaminated or something because of this bug and that I’ve now gotten my fish sick. Any and all help is appreciated as to what this is and if it is harmful. Thanks in advance!
IMG_2921.JPG

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Looks like some sort of beatle was the bugs shell hard? It could have flew into the mixture when it was made n froze in that particular piece you got. It didn’t fly into your cup or bowl you were thawing from where you are?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is or was it moving when you first noticed it?

Goldmoon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Looks like some sort of beatle was the bugs shell hard? It could have flew into the mixture when it was made n froze in that particular piece you got. It didn’t fly into your cup or bowl you were thawing from where you are?
It did have a hard (crunchy?) exterior but it was dead when I found it. I watched it thaw out of the block of bloodworms so it didn’t fly in as it was melting.

Goldmoon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Is or was it moving when you first noticed it?
No I watched it for a minute or so before I disposed of it and it didn’t move at all— I assume it was dead

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It did have a crunchy exterior but it was dead when I found it
It probably landed in the production line and ended up in that cube. If you have any doubts just toss the foods and use a new one. if you already fed it to your fish just monitor them. Fish eat a lot of things in the wild so more than likely a crunchy bug will be a tasty snack to your puffer.

Goldmoon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It probably landed in the production line and ended up in that cube. If you have any doubts just toss the foods and use a new one. if you already fed it to your fish just monitor them. Fish eat a lot of things in the wild so more than likely a crunchy bug will be a tasty snack to your puffer.
Thank you for the quick responses! I will definitely keep an eye on them

Top Bottom