what is this bug/Snail looking thing? - secreted white liquid (like smoke)

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by mangups, Oct 17, 2012.

1. mangups

mangupsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    20121017-00021. I found this weird bug/snail like looking 1/4 if an inch long creature in my tank today .. look like it has a shell and moves like a snail...

I noticed it on the live rock only when my damsel sawm by. When the damsel swam by it released white liquid like stuff .. looked like smll plume of smoke (if it was in air)

See picyure of creature... 20121017-00020.20121017-00021.20121017-00022.20121017-00024.

I have the following setup:
    •20 gallon long ( 5 weeks for cycled and now 10 days with fish - 3 yellow tail blue damsels)
    • 2 Turbo snails ( 4 days old), 1 Fireshrip and 1 Shunk cleaner shrimp (4 days old) and 1 red leg CORT crab (2 days)
    •Parameters are fine (tested with API s.w kit) - salinity: 1.023~1.024, ammonia : 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates < 5 PPM.
    •2 power heads (500 GPH and 900 gph) on alternate using a Hydor koralia Smart Wave pump controller
    •Basic Aqueon light with Ocean light ( 10,000 K , 17 Watts, T8)
    •Hydor Nano Slim protein skimmer
    •20 LBS live sand and 30 LBS Live rock

2. JessiNoel21

JessiNoel21Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +11
    Experience:
    5 years
    It is a Stomatella snail they are algae eaters and the white stuff that you see is a defense screen so they can crawl away it is not harmful. The only things that eats them are 4 and 6 line wrasses and peppermint shrimp.

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +19
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Awesome! Just seeing the different snail types is making me want to start a saltwater tank ;D

4. OP
    OP
    mangups

mangupsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks JessiNoel21..... I guess it must have hitched a ride on the LR. Wow 4 weeks and I never new it was there... always good to algae eater...

I think I goona name it 'Mr. CowBoy'. - for all the shooting it has bene doing under water ..