What Is This....biofilm?

1. CPARKTX Member Member

I am getting some "gunk" building up on my driftwood. Tank parameters are 0/0/0, good filtration, moderately planted tank. No direct sunlight and I use low intensity LEDs for 10 hours a day but only 5 days a week.

Only other issue I am having is some green algae on the tank glass.

Temp is 75 and stable. 0266e2f797c0dac5c2e925b0478a915a.jpg 3cb06ad125a6aabc499794f5fa0cbfa5.jpg 0247e16786b2f96c80837e932d22888e.jpg
  2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Is that a new piece of driftwood? Relax. It's a thing that happens. Some fish will eat it, but even if they don't, it will go away on its own eventually.

3. CPARKTX Member Member

It is about two months old. So leave it and don't worry?
  4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

If it gets truly unsightly then you can give it a quick scrub in used tank water with a piece of filter sponge on a water change day. Or you can introduce some shrimp or nerite snails to your tank. They'll generally clean it up.

But yeah, it should cycle through on its own.

5. jmaldo Well Known Member Member

Yes, I had the same issue with my driftwood. It will go away. I even boiled mine for hours to release some tannins but it still happened.
  6. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

The OP already has shrimp. There's one towards the top of the driftwood in the last pic.
  7. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Silly me. I wasn't really looking. Point being though, it will either get eaten by someone or degrade on its own over time, but filming on driftwood is a normal event.

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

For the algae on the glass, you can decrease the lighting to 6-8 hours daily, instead of 10. Even having the lights off for 2 days won't make up for the 10 hours on.
  9. CPARKTX Member Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll cut back more on the lights, and not stress about the film.