How strong is the light that you use?JackA99 said:
I have a test kit that I can use will post testings here as soon as possible. How would I know if I had high phosphates.AquaticJ said:
I don't know exactly it is just one that came with a 20 gallon starter kit so I know it is not that strong. I can try to find the exact light info if that could help me.Neutral-Waterinos said:How strong is the light that you use?
Good to know about algaecides being toxic. Right now the lights are on for 7 hours a day. Down from 10-11 before. I am planning to get a light timer soon though so I can change my light schedule to help with this if it is needed.TexasDomer said:How long is the lighting on now?
I would not use any chemicals to treat the algae unless it's cyanobacteria - it doesn't solve the root of the issue and the algae could easily come back. Some algaecides are toxic, too.
Ok thanks. I think it is diatom algae I have just never seen it behave like it is currently but it does fit he same characteristics so I will just keep up with what I have been doing and hope it passes.TexasDomer said:Diatoms should go away once the silicates in your tank are used up. You can keep removing them manually before water changes, too.