What Is This And How Do I Kill It? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Zarpy, Apr 23, 2018.

1. ZarpyNew MemberMember

Tank is cycled, but has no fish or plants yet. Nitrate was zero every time I tested but a few days ago just sky rocketed to 60-80 ppm range. Did a massive water change and been keeping it under control since.

The same day I noticed the nitrate I noticed white spots growing on the suction cups of my heaters and on my driftwood/tree. It's not growing on anything else in the tank, the rocks and substrate are clean as new.

I had the lights on 24/7 so every time I walked by it I could see it and see if I wanted to make any changes to it before I add fish. However it's been lights off for about a week now, the tank has had zero light and I've done 3 water changes since I noticed about a week ago. Yet this white stuff is still growing.

It's a bit more firm on the heaters, it's crusty and kinda just falls off when touched then floats around. The stuff on the wood is more stringy, it's kinda cloudy looking but stays together.

HmvFAAL.jpguCSzpHX.jpg

2. JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

I believe is a type of fungus that appears on most driftwood. Many other members had this happen to them. It should go away on its own. I read it is not dangerous.

3. Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

It's normal and will run it's course in time. It's just a fungus and if you leave it alone it will go away within a month or so

Absolutely beautiful price of wood

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice