50 Gallon Tank What is this??? A miracle? So Confused

KIMIPELI

This morning when I fed my fish I noticed some (like hundreds, actually) tiny, tiny, tiny, did I say TINY, little brown things crawling around on the gravel. We have 3 Blood Parrots, 1 Bristle nosed Pleco, 2 snails (suppose to be Nerite snails). There are no live plants in this aquarium. We have had this for over a year. We were able to extract some and put them under a microscope. I still have no clue what they are. Does anyone know? If anyone knows, are they bad? Do we need to rid the tank of them, keep them, or? Also, where did they come from? Did I just make a new life form, by miracle? Thank you for any input you may have! I'm just confused.

Attachments

• ID Brown Tiny Animals.JPG
    ID Brown Tiny Animals.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 32

StarGirl

They look like seed shrimp. They are harmless.

Upvote 0

KIMIPELI

Oh, okay, thank you. I will try to research this. Do you know where they came from?

Upvote 0

StarGirl

They usually come in on plants.
Edit....They can also come in with fishes.

Upvote 0

KIMIPELI

Thanks, I can't figure it out, because we have not had any new fish, no live plants, no new items in tank. So, I don't know what they mean by ''old gravel", but maybe since I don't change out the gravel, it produced it? I'm sorry, I have no idea. Maybe it came in on their food?? Freeze Dried Brien Shrimp, maybe there was live ones in it??????

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Kribensis27
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views