what is the the recipe for epson salt and a betta?

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
over the last couple of days i have noticed Inari getting well fat to say the least now i remeber that way back when i first got him and over fed him this is a sign of severe constipation. The problem is that he is eating the other fish foods that are in the tank was well so i was going to take him out and put in back in the 1 gallon bowl for a salt bath but i can't remeber the ratio for it can any one help

thanx

brent

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Why don't you just fast him for 24 hrs. Might be all he needs. Won't hurt the other fish either. I can't remember the epsom salt/water ratio. Will have to look for it.
Carol

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
This is very important that you measure carefully so do not estimate or the little Inari could be sick from it but the book says to give a bath in a solution of 1 gallon of water the temperature of the aquarium water to which you have added 1/4 teaspoon of epsom salts (has to be epsom salts) that you have disolved in a small amount of water before pouring into the water.  Milx the salt solution before you add Inari to the water.  Do not leave him in there longer than 30 minutes or if he starts to show signs of stress remove him immediately and put back in his tank.  Do not leave him unattended.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
thank u rose i appreciate it , i just need to go get him some epsom salt now thanx agian

~Inari

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
one question should i see him leave a well rather large water mine while he is in the salt bath?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
not necessarily. It is a laxative for them but may not work right away so put him back in the tank and give it some time like 24 hours and don't be in a hurry. but do not repeat the treatment or it will stress him. Once is enough. Just fast him until he goes. Or give him peas.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ok but his constipation is pretty bad and i mean like if he were human he would be on an exslax diet right now that is how bad it is he has a pudge little tummy right now that is how bad it has gotten with him eating everyone else's food even if i throw it in with my other hand while he is eating he still finds it and eats it
hmmm i might put take him out of the tank for a while so that he thinks it is no longer HIS and that he is a guest of the cories and he might reduce that idk tho ..... thanx for the advise and if it changes due to the severiety of his case please let me know thanx

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you take him out of the tank I am guessing you will be putting him into an uncycled tank again right? If this is the case do not leave him in a salt bath! He cannot be in epsom salts every day. You can put him on a fast for up to 3 days and then start the pea fast like you did before until he gets cleaned out but somehow he has to get over eating the other fishes food. Either that or just feed the other fish and not give him any extra for a while until he gets tired of it. But I am with you about taking him and isolating him and fasting him for a few days until you can tell that he is not constipated anymore. But no more Epsom Salts.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I have a concern now i read online that it might be dropsy (i think that is what it was called) 'cause of the swelling tummy any info on this at all anyone??

and i am isolating him so that the others can eat and if i do have to treat him with some kind of med i don't want my shrimp to kick the bucket 'cause of the copper in the medication

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not only the shrimp but your Cories and the Oto will react to the Copper. But there is one thing about Dropsy that is a no fail sign. Look at Inari from the top down not from the side. If his scales are sticking out like pine cones then it is POSSIBLE that he has dropsy. Dropsy is a symptom though not a disease. It means his body is full of fluid or something making him bloat. It could be kidney failure but if he is constipated enough he will be seriously bloated too. If you isolate him in a tank and can tell that he is not constipated, i.e. that he is pooping, then you may have a problem with fluid build up but if he is really constipated let's deal with that first.

Dropsy does have some medications that say they are treatments for the disease. I will tell you I had a fish with Dropsy and none of them helped and he did die. BUT let's make sure that Inari is not constipated FIRST. Put him in a tank where you can tell for sure that he is or is not being able to poop and then we will know what to do. If he isn't pooping then treat him for constipation and FAST him until you get him cleared out.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
alright sounds like a plan and about the scales they so not looked raised but i will also post a pic and u guys can give me ur input :-\

~Brent

or not my computer refuses to let me take a picture of him y i have no idea but as soon as i can get a picture i will post it here thanx

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
alright i can confirm now that his scales are not raised i had to grab him with my hand to double check i know it is bad and he hates but it was the only way i could be sure he DOES NOT HAVE RAISES SCALES thank god now how can i get rid of his constipation b4 it gets any worse? I have him in isolation tho he hates it he keeps trying to swim in the direction of my 10 gallon but can't get there idk if i should put him in a salt bath everyday until it passes just once a day tho i don't want to stress him out too much tho either I'm so confused and at a loss *sigh* any advise is more than welcome right now

very concerned,
~Brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Brent, please do not put the poor little guy in epsom salts every day. Just fast him for a couple of days and if he hasn't gone then put him on nothing but a couple small pieces of pea a day for a few days until he is over this. But please no more epsom salts. The only other thing you could do is raise the temperature of the water a couple of degrees but since you have him in the small tank so he won't eat the other fish's food then you cannot warm a 1 gallon tank unless you go get one of those mini heaters that are not adjustable but might work just for this since you are not trying to do anything more than warm the water, not to a particular temperature.

But, Brent, please do not use epsom salts on him anymore. If they had been going to be the answer they would have worked the first time. Let's try the peas. Okay??

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
yeah thats fine since his belly is swollen and he hasn't eaten in a while (well i didn't think he had but it wa the other fishes' food) I was concerned about him packing more into to his stomach and intestines and idk what would happen so the most powerful thing that I had heard of was the epsom salts that is y i asked i didn't have any intention of using it so often unless i had to but three days no food then peas to pass it sounds good to me

thanx

brent

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
well the peas were working so I started to feed him small amounts of normal food like one meal is 2 pellets/ meal instead of three but i'm still trying to figure out how to get everyone else fed and keep him from eating it. i know with some that soften quickly and are scavenger food, i'll let it break into the rocks for everyone to find later one but like the algea wafers take a bit so idk yet i threw one under the air stone which Inari absolutely hates and he still ate it grrrrr any ideas??

~Inari

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe if you feed in tiny portions he won't find as much at one time to eat.
Carol

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That is what I'm trying to do its just as soon as he goes exploring he finds some so i might start softening the foods and then putting it in the gravel, the shrimp will eat of the gravel i know that, so will my still nameless cories, and well Spasy (my oto) is constantly sucking on the glass lol anyway thanx

brent

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Try soaking the food before it goes into the water. Algae wafers that are soaked in some tank water before you add them to the tank will break up when they hit the bottom and he would have to eat crumbs and most bettas don't like those and even if he did it would not constipate him as it would be vegetable matter and just like eating peas. It would just make the stuff spread out on the gravel for the otos and cories and shrimp. He could have a mouthful and it would just clean him out good. He isn't going to want more. It doesn't taste good.

Rose

inari

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i think Inari broke his taster awhile ago He eats everthing I stick my finger in the water to make sure it isn't to hot or cold he comes up and bites me he tried to eat my finger one day I don't if he is just a moron or being dumb lol anyway I'm crushing the shrimp pellets, algea wafers, and protein pellets into tiny pieces and turning out the light long enough for the food to hit the bottom of the tank he got ahold of some algea wafer but he it seems that he likes it more than his peas anyway i think it finally figured out

thanx

Inari

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom