What Is The Soft Bumper/cap On The End Of My Heater? What Is The Purpose?

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by DoubledCashew, Apr 22, 2018.

1. DoubledCashew

DoubledCashewValued MemberMember

Hi, so I just took my 'TopFin 100 Watt' heater out as the hot desert months kick into swing. I was cleaning it and noticed the soft ringed cap on the end came off. I had wondered what the purpose of it was before but now I'm even more intrigued. Is it supposed to come off? Is it a safety hazard if it has detached? What is the purpose of this part of the heater? It fits right back on snug, but is easy to pull off. I will post pictures below and hopefully someone here will know a thing or two about heaters. Thank you!
    15244191955341546124568.jpg1524419234335388822998.jpg

2. FishFish221

FishFish221Well Known MemberMember

Probably so there is more surface area to distribute the heat.

3. bitseriously

bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

For any heater made of glass or brittle plastic, it’s exactly what you called it in your title, a bumper.
    Have you ever adjusted the height of your heater by sliding it up or down in the suction clamps? Even just a little bit? Or maybe it slipped out of your hand while putting it into the tank, and the glass bottom of your heater hits a rock or the glass bottom of your tank? If you’ve ever done this and felt the glass bottom of your heater tap that rock or tank bottom, you know that heart-sinking feeling of “oh did I just break that?”
    While it’s not possible to wrap the whole heater in bubble wrap, the little bumper/shock absorber on the end is a pretty good insurance policy for a lot of cases.

4. RedLoredAmazon

RedLoredAmazonWell Known MemberMember

It's also on there so in case your heater slips and touches the glass, the heat from the heater doesn't cause a crack in your aquarium glass.

5. OP
    OP
    DoubledCashew

DoubledCashewValued MemberMember

I see! Thank you!