What Is The Smallest Size For Quarantine Tank

Nikki Tognetti

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a limited amount of space in my home. I have only 2 tanks at the moment, 2.5 and 29 gal. I want to make the 29 gallon into a community tank for small hearty fish. Next month I will be getting the fish to add to my fresh cycled 29 tank. My question should the 2.5 gallon tank be used as a quarantine/hospital tank? Is it appropriate size to do the job well? I do however have the room for a 5 to 10 gallons 3rd tank but when I get it in a couple months, I would like to use it as a Betta tank. What should I do that is best for the fish?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well, that all depends on the size of the fish being quarantined.
If you were doing a juvenile Oscar I would recommend a 20 gallon. If you were doing schooling fish, then a 10 gallon should suffice.
They won't be in there too long, so overstocking won't be a major problem.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
i can only give you my experience. we have a 5gal tank we bought as a QT and had issues with cory and cardinal tetra dying in it...in part because it was too small.

so you can certainly use the 2.5 as a QT but you'll need to only have 1-3 fish in it at a time... in my experience. others may have had success with small QT tanks. we only had success with very small amount of fish.

Nikki Tognetti

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thank you for the info. I will be only keeping the fish numbers in the 2.5 quite small because the size of the tank. Maybe I can squeeze in a larger 10 gal quarantine tank down the road in my bedroom. Have to check or the outlets are behind the dressers.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nikki Tognetti said:
thank you for the info. I will be only keeping the fish numbers in the 2.5 quite small because the size of the tank. Maybe I can squeeze in a larger 10 gal quarantine tank down the road in my bedroom. Have to check or the outlets are behind the dressers.
What about storage totes? I’m using on that’s about 10g, but only about 6” tall.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I personally would use the 2.5 as a betta tank, and the 10 gallon for quarantine. That's just me though.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Nikki Tognetti said:
What about storage totes? I’m using on that’s about 10g, but only about 6” tall

AxolotlAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The bigger the better. 10 gallon tanks are inexpensive at chain pet stores like PetSmart and Petco (not that I recommend shopping there, but sometimes it's the only option) and having your fish die in the hospital tank would kind of kill the purpose of the tank, right? Good luck

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A qt doesnt have to be a glass tank. I used a babys bath and buckets many times.

Adrian Burke

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
At Walmart they have these neat little 1 gallon tanks for like 15 bucks. Filter, light, and everything. Obviously only one fish can fit, but it could be good for quarantining solitary fish or keeping solitary fish like betta in pet shops.

Nikki Tognetti

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mmmm a 10 gal clear plastic tub I can do. I've been rethinking where I can put a 10 gal qarantine tank or tub and I believe I do have space for one in my guest bedroom. I been thinking about it all and yes, a 2 1/2 gallon is small for working quarantine/hospital tank. thank you all

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom