What is the secret in keeping neon tetra's alive | Page 2

Discussion in 'Neon Tetra' started by Blk69, Jul 26, 2015.

1. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,070
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The secret to getting healthy Neons is to get fish that were not bred in the far east. They are raised under very crowded conditions. To prevent a disease from wiping out large amounts of stock, they use antibiotics rather heavily. This is done with many species, but it is particularly obvious with these, Cardinals, and Rams.

As a result of being overmedicated with antibiotics, the fish have little or no natural resistance to disease, and the most minor problems can kill them. An established tank often gives them the best chance of survival, but even then they may be extremely weak from shipping.

There are Neons being bred in Florida, and these are not overmedicated. There are some wild fish, but those come with a whole set of different problems.

2. yasha

yashaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +50
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I got a group of 5 Neon Tetra from a very well kept petsmart in MN. They actually had employes that owned fish and knew a lot about them. They also used liquid test kit. Kept them with some Danio in a 5 gallon for a few weeks(unheated). Only lost one and it was do to my over feeding on top of having them in that small a tank. Then in a Styrofoam cooler for a 13+ hour ride home and in to there 29 gallon. Up-ed the group to 10 and have had no problem with them.
    Live plants really seem to help they love hiding in my sword plant. Before I got plants in the 29 gallon they would just swim across the front of the tank. Have yet to have any problems with them. Now there in a clean happy 29 gallon kept at about 80 degrees. Makes me question if I just got lucky or what.

As others said
    clean tank
    right temp
    group of 10+
    however I would add plants to the must have list with them. Mine really did calm down and seem happier fish with the plants to hide in.

3. OP
    OP
    Blk69

Blk69Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Ok, glad to see I am not alone in having troubles. Going to stay away from the neons.

4. ClearEyes

ClearEyesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    2 years
    I'm always a fond advocate of cardinals :) They look prettier (IMO), and they're hardier. They're slightly more expensive and slightly harder to find, depending on your LFSs, but you get what you pay for, right? :D

5. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,070
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Cardinals prefer the slightly warmer (78+) conditions most people give their fish. Neons really don't do well above 75, another reason for the reputation as touchy.

Incidentally, I've seen a lot of people locally who have nothing but trouble from Cardinals. They are more sensitive to hard water than Neons. In my area, the water supply in general is very hard.