What Is The Recommended Tank Size And Tank Inhabitants?

PecosBill

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What is the recommended tank size for the blue crayfish? How many crayfish can live in a tank?
What other inhabitants can I have with the crayfish? Any impute on anyone's experiences would be great!

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Minimum tank size for one crayfish is 10 gallons. And additional 10-15 gallons for each extra one though it is not recommend to put more than one in the same tank. Crayfish should be in species only tanks unless you don’t care about the fish you put it. Normally faster moving fish will have a higher chance of surviving ie. danios

PecosBill

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you safely keep a male and a female blue crayfish in a 20 gallon tank?

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Definitely. Especially since they are male and female . Only 20 gallon standards or longs (20 highs don’t have much footprint) But make sure to provide plenty of hiding spots (rock caves, PVC pipe, etc.) and feeding them individually in order to prevent fighting over food.

PecosBill

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The hatchet fish and wrestling halfbeaks are peaceful community fish that always swim by the surface, and are not big and expensive.

FreshestFreshwater

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PecosBill said:
The hatchet fish and wrestling halfbeaks are peaceful community fish that always swim by the surface, and are not big and expensive.
It’s your money and decision. I think the hatchetfish fish would be okay, but where I live they normally cost $3-4. There’s always a risk, which I personally wouldn’t take.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If I were you, I would get the Dwarf Blue Mexican Crayfish. They are a nano species and do great in planted tanks. If you did a 20 long, you could get up to 6 of them if you plant it heavily and have lots of caves.

Keep in mind that they are small.

PecosBill

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My local fish store, the only pet store I 100% trust, cause they know almost everything about what they are selling me, I know this because they already knew all the stuff I found out after extensive research on certain fish and inverts, and they always have great clean tanks and a huge selection of fish. They are also a family owned business. They don't sell the dwarf crayfish, but they do sell the orange, white, blue, and a regular brown colored crayfish. How much will the blue regular crayfish eat the plants if it is a planted tank? Also, what plants are best and easiest to care for? And, will nerite snails be fine with the crayfish? I have 2 nerites and have had them in my 20 high for a very long time, and they seem to be very hardy and do a great job with cleaning plants.

2006fuzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would be wary about keeping plants with a crayfish of the non dwarf variety. My big boy doesn’t eat the plants, but he snipped every leaf off my amazon sword overnight. Keep in mind, many folks on here feed their crayfish snails with great success. I’d be very cautious about the snails as the crayfish will most likely kill them and they’re rather slow and unable to defend themselves.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn’t trust larger crayfish in tanks with snails and plants.

My dwarf Mexican crayfish can efficiently watch smaller bladder snails.

You could have a mixture of orange and blue in the tank though(dwarves only)

If you can’t get any at the store, I would try online.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
One of the biggest things to watch for is when one molts when keeping multiples. After they molt, their new shell takes a while to harden. During this time, the other may indulge in their natural cannibalistic behaviors while that tender shell is so easily torn and devoured. Some people take them out (when keeping multiples) into another tank to let them harden up. Also, if you do have success in keeping a pair, be ready for babies galore. As in roughly 100 per clutch. When I read all this, it made me decide to just keep one for now. I keep mine in a 10 gallon with a nerite snail that he ignores, a few feeder minnows that he occasionally indulges in, a bubbler ornament, and an Aquaclear 20 HOB.

PecosBill

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, thanks guys. I don't really wanna buy dwarf crayfish online, just cause I would rather go to a pet store I trust and shipping and the switch to a new tank would be very stressful for the crayfish.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
PecosBill said:
Ok, thanks guys. I don't really wanna buy dwarf crayfish online, just cause I would rather go to a pet store I trust and shipping and the switch to a new tank would be very stressful for the crayfish.
That's what happens at your LFS.

They get their fish shipped in from suppliers and have stress from there. The, there is the added stress of netting them at the store, transporting them home, and acclimatizing to the tank water

If you don't want dwarf crayfish, you can still get larger crayfish. Just keep in mind that you can't really have a planted tank.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom