What is the proper temperature? Question

1. zergdaddy Initiate Member

Hello..I am very new to freshwater aquariums.I have a pleco and an african cichlid.Was wondering what temperature my water should be at?Also any suggestions on what I should be feeding my cichlid.I am currently using a pellet.I have only had my fish for a couple of days now.I am also using algae wafers for my pleco.Thanks.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Zergdaddy and Welcome to Fish Lore.

Your Pleco will also love a slice of zucchini from the grocery store. All you have to do is wash it off and find a way to make it sink. You can use a fork, a plant weight, or there are veggie clips that you can buy at the pet store.

I've never owned African cichlids but I'm sure they would love a varied diet of pellets, cichlid sticks, pre soaked freeze dried krill, I think some have even fed theirs romain lettuce, worms, crickets. I'm sure you'll get some more suggestions on this.

I recommend keeping your tank temperature any where from 76 to 80 degrees.

Best of luck with your new fish! I hope you can share some photos with us sometime.
    Ken

3. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure about african cichlids, but i know a lot of american cichlids loved frozen foods, blood worms, beef heart, brine shrimp etc. Plecos usually accept zucchini and cucumber. Drift wood is also very important for plecos.

4. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

don't forget to blanche the slice of veggie first by tossing it in the microwave for a few seconds :)

5. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Cucumber & Zuchini as mentioned by the others for the plec. My Goldspot plec is partial to the odd lettuce leaf as well. Wash all vegies before feeding & either microwave for 10-20secs or boil for a couple of minutes. My african get HBH African Attack, HBH Flake Frenzy & two feeds of either bloodworms or brine shrimp every week to help keep good colors & health. There are plenty of food specifically for rift lake cichlids. Just pick a well known brand.

What sort of plec do you have & what is the PH of your water? Some plecs can't handle the high PH required by rift lake cichlids & rift lake cichlids won't deal with the low PH most plecs like at all well. The effects are not visible in the short term but long term it can shorten the fishes lifespan. Bristlenoses are fairly adaptable to the higher PH needed by rift lake cichlids.

6. zergdaddy Initiate Member

Thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it. I can use all the advice i can get.My cichlid seems very fussy right now maby still getting use to his new home.Tried feeding him Krill today he ate it but soon after spit it out.I tried some medium pellet as well but did the same thing??Not sure why I have some cichlid attack in small pellet but I think it is too small?Nutter my PH is approx.8.0.