What Is The Proper Tank Size For These Fish And Some Other Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Levanex, May 29, 2018.

1. L

Levanex New Member Member

- 4 snakehead fish
    - 3 angelfish

how many gallons is required?

btw, i put both angelfish and some snakehead into the same tank for almost a month and they are doing fine but the question is will snakehead bites some of the angelfish later?

2. packers1193

packers1193 New Member Member

I've heard snake heads get quite large & aggressive I'm not sure if they do good together once the snake heads start growing.. Do you have pics?

3. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

1500+ gallons. You will have 0 angelfish in a matter of weeks.

4. packers1193

packers1193 New Member Member

1500+ are kidding me? & yeah bye bye angels they be lunch real quick

5. KaitlynR

KaitlynR Well Known Member Member

There's multiple different types of snake heads. Do you know which one you have? Some can grow up to a meter long... This is why I ask :)

After doing some research, I've come up with lots of information.

The smallest snakehead available still grows to 8 inches long. It is the Dwarf Snakehead. Even they alone require 75 gallons because 1) the get BIG 2) they are FAST and 3)They are AGGRESSIVE.

Anything other than this species will need 100+ gallons, and more than one. When alone, they become timid and feel insecure. They will hide most of the time, and be extremely boring for you.

I also read that when you get your larger tank for it (i strongly recommend getting 150 gallons or larger to be safe), that the glass needs to be reinforced in case the snakehead decides to ram the glass.

Also- They should be in a species-only tank. They will eat anything and everything you put with them. He may not be aggressive now, but he will be as he gets bigger, faster, and stronger.

Finally, the Snakehead is an invasive species in the USA. I'm not sure where you are from, but for most states, it is illegal to keep them. You should look into whether or not you are okay to keep them! Where I'm from, they are not allowed.

Have fun! :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2018
  6. OP
    OP
    L

Levanex New Member Member

so
    why it is illegal to keep them? this doesn't make sense :emoji_frowning2:

7. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

it does make sense if you read up on them. here's an  .

different fish require different needs and have different restrictions. you can't just throw a bunch of cool fish into one tank and hope for the best, unfortunately. what type of snakeheads are they, how big are they, where do you live, and where did you get them? if you got them locally then maybe they aren't illegal where you live.

8. KaitlynR

KaitlynR Well Known Member Member

It is illegal because they are invasive. You should look up your local state's laws on them and see if it is illegal there as well.

9. Bradley Moles

Bradley Moles Valued Member Member

Yeah you can’t keep snake heads

10. Tsin21

Tsin21 Well Known Member Member

The angels will surely become lunch of the snakeheads. I'm hesitant to suggest any tank size for the snakeheads since some are overly exaggerated and it will depend on the species. Coming from a place where black snakeheads are native and striped snakeheads were introduced/naturalized I could say that they live in ditches, canals, rice paddies and in vast wetlands with only about a foot of water. And they survive the summer months (when the wetlands dry up) burying under mud and logs; just enough to be moist and they breath air. They're predators and would eat frogs, fish and any creature that will fit their mouth plus they can jump. And they are food fish, they would last days or even a week in buckets and tubs in the market with just some sprinkling of water every now and then by the vendors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice