What Is The Point Of Painting Tanks Black?

Chris Osborne

Reaction score
Hey all, just curious if there are any benefits to painting the back of my tank black, or is it strictly athletics? Thanks!

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have never painted the back of an aquarium, but I have had black backgrounds. It gives the fish a feeling of being in an enclosure if you have plants or the like near the back.

qldmick

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i think it just looks better than looking at the wall and cords behind the tank.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yeah, I don't like looking at the cords and stuff behind the tank either. I used simple acrylic paint for the background of this tank.
fishtank.jpg

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wish i painted mine before i set it up. But its too late now.

ASHLEY R COOK

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's just personal preference. Black, blue, or a picture. It's all to hide the cords and wall. Usually it's just a background sheet not painted I think. But I could be wrong on that.

Bigfella

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
smee82 said:
I wish i painted mine before i set it up. But its too late now.
I had mine running for 2 years before I painted my 150 gallon background. Had to take the filter hoses off and it was a slight pain, but well worth the time spent on it. The acrylic paint dried pretty quick and was easy to use.

Chris Osborne

Reaction score
Bigfella said:
I had mine running for 2 years before I painted my 150 gallon background. Had to take the filter hoses off and it was a slight pain, but well worth the time spent on it. The acrylic paint dried pretty quick and was easy to use.
Thanks! I'm setting up a 150, and want to make sure I do it right the first round.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Bigfella said:
My 100g up against a wall so i cant get to the back but if i eever have to pull it down the 1st thing om doing is painting the back.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Painting the back gives a sense of depth and hides equipment, making the aquarium look cleaner. Also, a black background will make your corals and fish pop. A dark blue background will not make them pop as much, but will look cleaner. I have a dark blue background and really like it, more natural then black, but still makes everything pop.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom