What Is The Point Of Painting Tanks Black?

1. C

Chris Osborne New Member Member

Hey all, just curious if there are any benefits to painting the back of my tank black, or is it strictly athletics? Thanks!

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I have never painted the back of an aquarium, but I have had black backgrounds. It gives the fish a feeling of being in an enclosure if you have plants or the like near the back.

3. qldmick

qldmick Valued Member Member

i think it just looks better than looking at the wall and cords behind the tank.

4. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, I don't like looking at the cords and stuff behind the tank either. I used simple acrylic paint for the background of this tank.
    fishtank.jpg

5. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I wish i painted mine before i set it up. But its too late now.

6. ASHLEY R COOK

ASHLEY R COOK Valued Member Member

It's just personal preference. Black, blue, or a picture. It's all to hide the cords and wall. Usually it's just a background sheet not painted I think. But I could be wrong on that.

7. Bigfella

Bigfella Valued Member Member

I had mine running for 2 years before I painted my 150 gallon background. Had to take the filter hoses off and it was a slight pain, but well worth the time spent on it. The acrylic paint dried pretty quick and was easy to use.

8. OP
    OP
    C

Chris Osborne New Member Member

Thanks! I'm setting up a 150, and want to make sure I do it right the first round.

9. Bigfella

Bigfella Valued Member Member

It'll make the colors of your fish pop too, my clown loaches and platinum angel fish really stand out now.

10. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

My 100g up against a wall so i cant get to the back but if i eever have to pull it down the 1st thing om doing is painting the back.

11. Culprit

Culprit Fishlore VIP Member

Painting the back gives a sense of depth and hides equipment, making the aquarium look cleaner. Also, a black background will make your corals and fish pop. A dark blue background will not make them pop as much, but will look cleaner. I have a dark blue background and really like it, more natural then black, but still makes everything pop.