What is the one thing that you will not do since....

1. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

becoming involved in fishkeeping....................

Me? I will NEVER swim in a lake as long as I live! After seeing tiny worms in my tank, copepods and other CREEPY things, no thank you! ;:barf

Only Chlorinated water for this girl!

2. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I'd say actually eat fish, but I never have liked it anyway.
    :p

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

LOL we don't eat our friends. ;:barf

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

since testing my tap water, DRINK IT.

just figure if it is questionable for aquarium use, it can't be all that good for me. Nitrates near 40 ppm, over 40 dGH, small amounts of ammonia, and over 1000 ppm TDS. What's in that 1000? Random fish deaths due to unknown causes was routine, after switching to RO that all stopped, so only RO for me now too.

5. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Are you adding minerals to the RO water before you drink it to raise the KH? Are you using what you put in your fish tanks?

Don't forget that drinking too much reverse osmosis water actually lowers the amount of electrolytes in your system. Or are you making up for that by drinking extra soda? ;)

6. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Sadly I drink very little pure water, most of has additives such as tea and coffee, and yes, I make up for much by drinking soda, lol.

Never tried drinking the stuff with Equilibrium and/or buffer in it.

7. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

LOL actually the reason I didn't like swimming in my parents' pond when I was younger was because the pond plants and dirt made you smell a bit sewer-like if you stirred it up too much. I knew about the leeches and the bugs that kill and eat tadpoles and the little swimming things that I used to stare at in jars... those never bothered me XD

I will NEVER like the smell of clove oil! I don't know if I would have liked it to begin with, as it's a little cloying for my taste, but after what I've used it for I will always hate it.

8. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I will definitely never smoke a clove cigarette again although I have to admit that I never wanted to again after the first time I tried one when a friend offered it to me. (Blech!) I used to think that clove cigarettes smelled like a baked ham, but now I think they smell like death.

9. smee82 Well Known Member Member

nothing. I dont think fish keeping has changed anything for me at all.

10. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure of anything just yet. I never liked swimming in water I can't see the bottom through and I've never enjoyed the smell or texture of fish as dinner. :p

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I didn't have anything to offer this thread until I read it. The worms and copepods, etc, yeah, I'm with you.

I'll always swim in the ocean though, absolutely always, but lakes and ponds? I've actually not done that much and the one time I did I was bit by some kind of water bug that left a little but permanent scare on my right thigh that occasionally bothers me still.

12. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

What they said.

13. Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

Underestimate the persistence of a 2 year old that wants to "pet" the Betta.

14. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

Believe that someone who works for A living in a pet/fish store understands or knows what they are talking about.

Out of 5 independently owned petfish stores in a 20min drive from my home there are only 2 employees who actually come across like they care about fish and know what they are talking about. I know they are there to sell things but seriously like anything you are selling at least know and understand the product you are selling

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

15. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

YES! That is exactly how I feel after being let down by my closest lps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I actually thought the same thing about ALL of the petstores/fish stores, etc but now I realize, its not their fault ( the employees )
    I mean, don't you remember your first job? Be it a grocery store or whatever -
    It's up to the store management to provide better pay and get knowledgeable employees and or training. You really can't blame a 19 yr old college student because of his/her lack of skills, they just want a job!
    There's no incentive to really learn more ( especially if your employer is not giving the training ) at minimum wage.

I now am armed with my own knowledge when I go to the store. I research and do all of my ground work first myself, be it a fish store or a car dealership.

17. Machine11 Well Known Member Member

That would be a decent reasoning if they were in that age bracket. But most employees in my LFS are mid 20's and above. In Australia we don't have the large chains like petco for animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

18. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

I probably won't go fishing again. I used to go pond fishing all the time and release the fish. I primarily caught perch/bluegill and catfish. Although I had kind of already stopped because of the deaths which occurred too often when fish took a took down the throat or went straight through their eyes. It was always enjoyable if the fish caught the bait in the right spot on the lips and minimal harm was done.

But now I don't think I can force a poor fishy to swallow a hook after i've become attached to their relatives in my house. It was also especially horrible if a turtle swallowed a hook, they were nearly impossible to remove from the turtles mouth and I always hated myself for it.

Moreover I doubt i'll ever swim in a pond again. It's just nasty in ponds and a snapping turtle to the toe or a nasty bacterial infection doesn't sound good at all. Also one time I swam in a lake I had a snail clinging onto my booty when I popped out of the water lol.