What is the most humane way to put my Molly down

Discussion in 'Molly' started by Paicavi, Mar 26, 2010.

1. P

Paicavi Valued Member Member

:-[hi guys, I just can't seem to get it right. I bought a thermometer and all readings are ok, buy my black Molly girl is sick with bladder problems. I already lost 3 to it. She is struggling to breath and I want to spear her the pain. I just can't bring myself to do it :;dk

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I use a cup of ice water. Give the ice a minute to cool down the water then plop it in. SHould take 3 seconds.

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

It sounds cruel but the quickest way is to snip the head right off with a pair of scissors. If you don't have the stomach for that then the ice water method would be better for you.

4. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

5. R

Railed2180 New Member Member

i've ran into problems finding clove oil.. any suggestions?

6. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

My suggestion would be to look at a drugstore. Clove oil is usually found with the toothache products. It may be called eugenol rather than clove oil, did you try looking for eugenol?

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry about your fish :(
    My cvs keeps clove oil behind the counter, so you might have to ask for it.

8. m

marina3 Valued Member Member

Sorry Paicavi...

9. k

kloseo Well Known Member Member

place the fish in a bag and put in a freezer, it will go to sleep and feel no pain

10. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

Poor a shot of vodka,whisky ect...Throw the fish in.Death is almost immediate.Cant imagine its feeling any pain but than again im not the fish.

11. Narwhal

Narwhal Valued Member Member

I found clove oil at the natural food store if that will help. I couldn't bear to watch one of my first fish in the 10 gallon die, so my mom did it and she said it didn't look at all in pain... Sorry about your molly. :(

12. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Narwhal, don't feel bad about not being able to personally do the deed. I wouldn't be able to do it either.

Paicavi, that was you in another post that I recommended feeding your Molly some Pea or Daphnia wasn't it? If so I really hope it helps. It's hard to see fish suffer. Best of luck!

13. OP
    OP
    P

Hey guys thanks for your support, unfortunatelly it was too late jdhef and she was dead in the morning. I'm determined to get a q tank now. Of course my other black Mollie seems to be coming down with ich. It's a big spot though, not a bunch of little ones, do I treat the hole tank? Or do I set up a tapperware for now and treat him alone?. He seems happy and lively, but again so did the others

14. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I'm sorry about your fish :(
    Ich looks like grains of salt, not one big spot.

15. OP
    OP
    P

I just want to be proactive, I've lost too many already. Lucy any idea what could it be? It is the size of a squashed pin head

16. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

AWW im sorry also for the loss :(
    at this point, see if you can find some prime or amquel+ to get daily water changes going...the tank needs to be cycled and water kept prestine for the other fish......this will need to be done for a few weeks...also, picking up a liquid master test kit will give you better readings ....test strips arent reliable and probably not giving you correct stats of the tank.....good luck!

17. jdhef

I'm sorry you lost you fish.

The white spot sounds more like a fungus to me. You could try treating the whole tank, but then you can't do daily water changes and it could kill off you bacteria you are trying to cultivate.

So I think I would do as Shawnie suggested and just keep up the water changes.

18. OP
    OP
    P

I'll do that, thanks guys. Hey I keep hearing about this prime how and when do I use it?

19. jdhef

Prime is a water conditioner that removes chlorine, chlorimine, heavy metals etc like all of the other water conditioners. But it also (as does Amquel+) detoxes ammonia and nitrites making these toxic compounds safe for the fish while still making them available to feed the benificial bacteria you are trying to cultivate.

So you would use it with every water change. And since it only detoxes for 24 hours, you need to do daily water changes with the Prime to keep the ammonia and nitrites detoxed until you cycle competes.

20. d

djorna Valued Member Member

I would use prime with every water change I find prime is one of the best products out there to help detoxify your water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice