Question What is the minimum I should spend for a coral light.

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
By hard corals you mean SPS?
If so they have the highest lighting requirements and Id get the best and brightest light you can afford. What size tank? Also need height of the tank.
If you go led it will help you greatly in keeping bulb change costs down and heat down in the tank.
Don’t forget you may need a chiller too.

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
just want to add also that SPS require a mature tank and rock solid parameters so I would recommend dabbling in softies and LPS for awhile first until you get the hang of things. I'm about 2 years into the salty side and have only tried beginner SPS and even those are quite finicky. Not meaning to sound like I am discouraging you but rather would have you avoid some of my pitfalls as a beginner myself.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
vampireshrimpfan said:
I am planning to get hard coral. What is the minimum that I should spend for a light.
Hard corals are the hardest thing, You need to get your community going first. Maybe think of saltwater a few years from now. ;)

OP
vampireshrimpfan

vampireshrimpfan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Which type of coral should I get ( I am planning to saltwater in about 3 years from now, I am just doing my research now ). And when I do, I am planning to get star polyps ( hard coral? )

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
vampireshrimpfan said:
Which type of coral should I get ( I am planning to saltwater in about 3 years from now, I am just doing my research now ). And when I do, I am planning to get star polyps ( hard coral? )
Listen to Lchi87 she knows what she is talking about. That's why she is a moderator! :) Starting with soft corals is what you should research first. Maybe just research a FOWLR tank. (fish only with live rock)

Lchi87

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
vampireshrimpfan said:
Star polyps are softies and make great beginner coral. FOWLR tanks like StarGirl15 mentioned are the best way to get your feet wet in my experience since there's thinks one must learn before we can even think about coral. There's quite a few stickies here that are super helpful guides to those who are just starting out. While it's not "hard", the learning curve is rather steep and mistakes in saltwater are way more expensive than freshwater mistakes. ;)

saltwater60

Well Known
Reaction score
I agree that soft corals are easier and SPS are very difficult to care for. I had no idea you were new to this.
While I don’t disagree green star polyps are east to care for they can become a huge nuisance IMO. So if you get them place them in the sand so they don’t get all over your rocks. Same with some palys and mushrooms.
What type of corals you should get is a tough question to answer because it’s so personal. A toad stool and other leathers are another good option

I personally had almost 100% LPS and that’s what thrives for me. Each tank is a bit different too. I never had great luck with zoas or SPS but LPS thrives for me and I sold many frags to people. Hammer corals are very nice and not too hard.
You’re doing the right thing by asking questions but 3 years from now is a good bit down the road.
Also if you do a fish only tank make sure they are all reef safe if you plan to move that way. I also personally stay away from anything or most things that say reef safe with caution.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
saltwater60 said:
I agree that soft corals are easier and SPS are very difficult to care for. I had no idea you were new to this.
While I don’t disagree green star polyps are east to care for they can become a huge nuisance IMO. So if you get them place them in the sand so they don’t get all over your rocks. Same with some palys and mushrooms.
What type of corals you should get is a tough question to answer because it’s so personal. A toad stool and other leathers are another good option

I personally had almost 100% LPS and that’s what thrives for me. Each tank is a bit different too. I never had great luck with zoas or SPS but LPS thrives for me and I sold many frags to people. Hammer corals are very nice and not too hard.
You’re doing the right thing by asking questions but 3 years from now is a good bit down the road.
Also if you do a fish only tank make sure they are all reef safe if you plan to move that way. I also personally stay away from anything or most things that say reef safe with caution.
Agreed, GSP and Xenia need careful planning before adding them. The only way I would do either one is if I were looking for a cheap way of filling the tank with coral and was fine with having just one kind (ie getting one or two frags and just letting them take over). I also agree that of all the corals I have tried, LPS are what does best for me as they are more forgiving of higher nitrates and phosphates (they prefer it since they feed on them). Frogspawns and Hammers are definitely my favorite corals in terms of doing nothing but good lighting and regular maintenance and they do fine.

New Threads