What Is The Minimum Amount Of Water A Koi Needs For It To Grow Normally? Question

Discussion in 'Koi' started by claytonyu, Apr 17, 2018.

1. claytonyu

claytonyu Valued Member Member

I hear a lot of people say that placing fish in small tanks or ponds would stunt its growth, I do want to know if how big a pond is for koi fish to naturally grow into its maximum size. Pond size or gallons/liters per fish.

Thanks!

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

When we say stunted, what that means is that the body stops growing, but this doesn't restrict organs from growing. Normally this kills a fish. You can't give a koi a gallons measurement because you need to factor in width and lenght of the aquarium also. I would say 200 gallons for one fish but not a 200 gallon aquarium because it isn't wide enough. I hope that makes sense

3. Galathiel

Galathiel Well Known Member Member

Adult koi (depending on which source you go with), need anywhere from 250-500 gallons per fish with suitable filtration and maintenance.

4. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

They need a very spacious pond with about 300-500 gallons per koi, preferably with other koi.

5. ralph113

ralph113 Well Known Member Member

i havr 2 kois in a 600ish gallon. theyre like more than 15inch now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice