What is the max temperature for goldfish? Question 

fishies123

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi... I'm wondering how hot a tank can be with goldfish, especially comets. I'm thinking of keeping them outside, but it's pretty hot out there. Thanks!

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Is it going to be a tank or a pond? Where are you located? I know some people here (in California) that have ponds out in the summer... They just make sure there is shade by water plants (or regular plants) cast in the water so the goldies can get away from the sun. I've never had a tank outside though... I'm sure someone who has experience will be along shortly! And I don't think I've seen you on other threads so... Welcome to Fishlore!

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My pond gets up to the 90's (farenheit) in the hottest part of the days in the summer. It drops back down to the 70's at night though. I have a lily and some water lettuce to provide shade for my fish. Also, the waterfall helps to keep the water circulating well enough to provide proper aeration and to help cool it off a bit. Every once in a while I end up with a new fish that doesn't know to take advantage of the shade and ends up with sunburn. It looks kind of funny, but the fish heals up just fine. During the hottest part of the hot days, my fish will all sit down on the bottom of the pond where the water is a bit cooler - or nestle in the stems of the lily.

KewtyPatootie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Eek.. goldfish definitely don't like 90 deg. fahrenheit, even tropicals would suffer in that temperature. And second thing, huge temp changes like that really stress out the fish regardless of how cool/warm they like your waters.

I think as long as they've got lots of shade where they can stay in a steady temp. range, they'd be fine.

ps, I wonder what 'burnt' fish look like! I've never seen one

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Here is a picture of my sunburned goldfish (from 3 years ago). I had thinned out my lily plant so there wasn't anything left to shade them except the rock shelves. I didn't even think about there not being as much shade in the pond. As soon as I noticed the burn, I rigged a shade with a piece of vinyl siding (the white thing the fish is swimming by). It worked fairly well to keep the fishies shaded.

As for the temp, the waterfalls help to keep plenty of oxygen in the water, and the goldies spend most of the hottest part of the day down in the bottom of the pond by the lily roots. They are always much more active in the mornings and the late afternoon/evenings. Fortunately my pond only gets full sun in the mornings - the house shades it in the afternoon and evenings.

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads