What Is The Least Painful Way Of Killing Sea Snails

glofishguy1234567890

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have way too many sea snails and I was thinking of killing some of them and feeding them to my fish. If I do that then maybe, the fish will get a taste for them and eat them normally.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What about sea turtles?

If you want to kill the sea snails, try freezing it. In a few hours it should be dead.

FriarThomasIII

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Smashing them would be the quickest way. Or smushing them in your fingers and then feeding to your fish. What fish do you have?

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If they have a thicker shell i would smash them with something other than your fingers, ramshorn are bad enough about if you smash them wrong they can cut your finger.

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
glofishguy1234567890 said:
Those are actually the snails that I need to get rid of.
Squish them between thumb and forefinger, right at the joint on the thumb (not on the pad, it can cut the skin and cause it to bleed) and edge of the forefinger/pointer this provides the most solid section to crush against, a slight rolling motion helps squish them, then drop them into the tank where the fish can see them. They likely will not hunt them down, only have two types of fish that will eat them, one is kuhli loaches (they grab the snail in their jaws with the whiskers around the area and shake it like a terrier to split the snail from its shell, normally leaves empty shells) and my apisto viejita male (the female mostly hangs out away from him, he eats everything). The last resort would be an assassin snail for population control. They can reproduce but it takes them longer to do and they need a male and female to do so.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Snails have a simple central nervous system. They do not feel or experience pain like other animals.

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Place a slice of cucumber or zucchini in the tank before light out. The next day it should be covered in invasive snails. Just take out the slice, toss it, and put in a fresh one before lights out again. Repeat until your snail problem is gone.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom