what is the importance of a quarantine tank. Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by maxx56dog, Apr 4, 2010.

1. m

maxx56dog New Member Member

hey I am a beginner to the salt water world. i have a 75 gallon reef tank and i was just wanted to ask an exert what they think about a quarantine tank? do you think is is a nessessaty even if the fish look healthy? how long do you usually keep the fish in quarantine? any advice for a new comer? also what do you think about vodka dosing. does it work? thanks

-Maxx:;dogrun

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi Maxx welcome to FishLore!!

I'm not a salty, but I think the same would hold true between salt and f/w tanks.

New fish can be harboring an illness that we can't see with the naked eye.
    Two weeks (some say longer) gives you enough time to observe the fish to make sure it isn't sick.
    The stress of moving to a new tank could be just enough to let whatever nasty take hold of the fish.

If you add a sick fish to your tank, you could wipe out your existing stock.

I've never heard about dosing anything with vodka unless as a humane euthanasia tool (along with clove oil) .
    Perhaps salty is different in that regard?

If I'm missing anything, I'm sure others will chime in.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  3. l

lorabell Well Known Member Member

Great advice......I am jst getting into the salty side myself.......personally I dont want to spend 30$ or way higher on a fish and have a newcomer bring something in......I quarantine freshwater in a 29gallon...and once my 72BF goes salty I will be using a 20 gallon as a quarantine tank for the saltwater(Ive read about 3 weeks for salt water)

4. ATP

ATP Well Known Member Member

. I do reccomend people do it for most fishes, but not all. Some fish like my moorish idol is best not to be quarantined because they take a while to adjust to new enviroments and when you move it too much withing a short time, there's a big chance for him to die.

Quarantine prevents any sickness the fish may have from spreading to your other inhabitants so they won't get sick :)

I used to quarantine, but I'm kinda lazy now...:p

5. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

QT is pretty much on the money from what everyone has mentioned.

As far as vodka dosing, I would not recomend it to a begginer. It is a very precise technique, it does work really great, but it can also go wrong very easilly. A protein skimmer is a must and a precise method of dosing is also a must. I can provide you a link to another site were they are dosing vodka if you are interested on learning about that process.

6. OP
    OP
    m

maxx56dog New Member Member

yes please

7. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I'm no salty either, but QTs are a must. I quarantine for 2-3 weeks, sometimes longer, sometimes MUCH longer.

I think I read something about vodka. Isn't it supposed to feed the bacteria that converts nitrate?

8. zeeter

zeeter Well Known Member Member

The biggest benefit to a quarantine tank for supplementing a reef tank is to double it as a hospital tank. If a fish does get sick in the main tank you can't treat the water with most chemicals as they will usually kill the corals. With a quarantine/hospital tank you can remove the offending fish to the other tank and then use your anti-ich or whatever medication there instead of risking the thousands of dollars on corals. I've heard many people who don't have hospital tanks declare that they'd rather the fish die than treat the water as corals tend to be more expensive than fish. Meaning, they'd rather risk their livestock than lose their corals, given the choice.

Edit: As for quarantine, I'd say 2 weeks is good. You always have people on this board who will say "one month minimum" and then another guy trumps him and says "six weeks, at least!" If you've purchased from a reputable dealer your fish is probably ok, so two weeks should work.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  9. Jaysee

For me, how long is determined by where I got them, the condition of the fish in the store as a whole, the kind of fish I'm buying, which tank it's going in, among other things. Basicly I start at 2 weeks and then increase it based on those conditions. IME some fish are more prone to certain diseases, like internal parasites, and 2 weeks isn't always long enough to tell. Also, when adding a tough to catch fish to a tank where it'll be almost impossible to get it out, I want to be CERTAIN that it's okay. Same when adding fish that are hard to single out. If I need to replenish a school, I'll get more than I plan to put in and leave them in quarantine for extra long, to see which fish are the best. Sometimes imperfections develop as the fish matures, and I try to only add the best fish.

10. locoyo386

locoyo386 Well Known Member Member

Here is the link,

It helps reduce the nitrates, basically to zero, not sure if it works in freshwater though.

11. zeeter

zeeter Well Known Member Member

Jaysee I was referring more to the fish-police that are on here. Certainly different conditions require different quarantine times and I should have mentioned that. There's some, though, who take all of the fun out of SW tanks by telling people that they shouldn't put a fish or even a snail in their tank for 3-6 months and God forbid you get a coral within a year. If I listened to these people I would have given this up before I started. People will make mistakes and people will kill fish - whether they wait a week or wait a year. It's unfortunate, but it will happen. These SW police scare a lot of people away sometimes.

12. Jaysee

It does, but not exactly the same. The denitrification process requires conditions that naturally occur in SW, where in freshwater we need to create the anaerobic environment needed for the bacteria to live. This is done with a specialized canister filter in freshwater.

Ahhh, I don't know anything about how all that works :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice