What Is The Easyest Cory To Breed

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
19,430
Reaction score
13,567
Location
Holland (The Netherlands)
Experience
More than 10 years
blue velvet keeper said:
what is the easyest most cost effective cory that I can breed? I have tried breeding pandas but have only got one egg so anyone that can help me here?
C.aeneus.

But in advance think about the possibility getting rid of the fry afterwards.
 

Coradee

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
18,085
Reaction score
5,534
Location
England
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:
C.aeneus.

But in advance think about the possibility getting rid of the fry afterwards.
Agreed, often the most prolific ones are the ones hardest to find homes for.

blue velvet keeper said:
why get rid of them?
Aeneus can lay several hundred eggs in one spawning, if a large number survive then you’re going to need a big tank to keep them all
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
JaksAquatics

JaksAquatics

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
423
Location
In a galaxy far far away JK Minnesota
Experience
5 years
Coradee said:
Agreed, often the most prolific ones are the ones hardest to find homes for.


Aeneus can lay several hundred eggs in one spawning, if a large number survive then you’re going to need a big tank to keep them all
oh wow


DoubleDutch said:
If you've enough space for 100+ you don't have to.
I don't know are there any that are easy to breed that don't produce 100s of eggs at a time?
 

Coradee

Moderator
Moderator
Member
Messages
18,085
Reaction score
5,534
Location
England
Experience
More than 10 years
Again, usually the easiest to breed are the most prolific.
You say you only got one egg from the pandas, did you have other fish in the tank that could have eaten the rest? corys also will eat their own eggs so for best results the adults should be removed after spawning if your goal is to get good numbers of eggs & fry.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
JaksAquatics

JaksAquatics

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
423
Location
In a galaxy far far away JK Minnesota
Experience
5 years
Coradee said:
Again, usually the easiest to breed are the most prolific.
You say you only got one egg from the pandas, did you have other fish in the tank that could have eaten the rest? corys also will eat their own eggs so for best results the adults should be removed after spawning if your goal is to get good numbers of eggs & fry.
yeah I had just the pandas in there and I woke up to get ready for school at 6:00 am and there was a single cory egg then I freaked out and tried to put it somewhere else then I broke it. then I was trying to breed them but I am thinking of trying again
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
19,430
Reaction score
13,567
Location
Holland (The Netherlands)
Experience
More than 10 years
blue velvet keeper said:
oh wow




I don't know are there any that are easy to breed that don't produce 100s of eggs at a time?
To be honest breeding them is fun.
You can always try with C.aeneus and simply not save all the eggs they lay or be sure you can sell the youngsters to an LFS or so.
 

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
9,161
Reaction score
6,160
Location
Texas
Experience
3 years
I agree with aeneus being the easiest cory to breed, mine used to breed all the time, but some of them died off in some accidents a while back, now I think I am left with only one or two females, most of them in the herd are males.

I have the aeneus albino and aeneus bronze mixed together.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13
OP
JaksAquatics

JaksAquatics

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,105
Reaction score
423
Location
In a galaxy far far away JK Minnesota
Experience
5 years
Fanatic said:
I agree with aeneus being the easiest cory to breed, mine used to breed all the time, but some of them died off in some accidents a while back, now I think I am left with only one or two females, most of them in the herd are males.

I have the aeneus albino and aeneus bronze mixed together.
if I do get any I will probobly do that
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
248
Guests online
3,151
Total visitors
3,399

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom