what is the difference between water conditioner and dechlorinator?

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by mearatiara, Jul 28, 2015.

1. mearatiara

mearatiara Valued Member Member

So this might be a stupid question (I'm sure it is), but what is the difference between water conditioner and dechlorinator? I could have sworn I've read that conditioner takes out the chlorine? Correct me if I'm wrong..

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

They are pretty interchangeable. People just have different names for the same product in this situation.

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

While we're on the subject, this is the best one on the market:
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438102559.158747.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. OP
    OP
    mearatiara

That's what I thought. Thank you! :)

I actually bought that one without knowing it was the best one. I guess my intuition is accurate. Thank you! :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2015
  5. Dom90

Seachem makes the best products imo, I have respect for all of them. I saw you mentioned in another thread that you bought Stability, good for you! Another great product.

6. LiterallyHydro

Prime is easily the best on the market in most circumstances, but I do like Stress Coat as well for it's aiding in rebuilding the slime coat on fish. I use Stress Coat when there's something wrong in the tank and Prime for regular water changes.

7. Dom90

It's mentioned on the Seachem website that Prime actually does help with this also. Straight from their website: "Prime® also promotes the production and regeneration of the natural slime coat."

8. LiterallyHydro

What do they use in Prime to regenerate their slime coat? Stress Coat uses Aloe Vera but I haven't seen what Prime uses for that.

9. Dom90

I'm not sure, I tried to find something on their website but couldn't really find what ingredients are in their formula for Prime.

10. LiterallyHydro

Kind of like WD-40 then. ;D I'll do some reading online to see if I can find out what's up with Prime's slime coat regeneration properties. I always hear people saying to use Stress Coat for slime coat regeneration so I'm led to believe that it's either more natural ingredients, or it does a better job. Can't say until I find out more about Prime though. Maybe I'll Email them and see if I can get any information from them.

11. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Just a reminder...there are no stupid questions!

12. Dom90

Guess we'll never find out, according to their Material Safety Data Sheet, under Chemical Ingredient it's stated... Proprietary aqueoussolution of complexedhydrosulfite salts.

13. OP
    OP
    mearatiara

Yes, I purchased both! :)

I couldn't make up my mind since they both got great reviews. On amazon, I can't figure out what other differences between the two are. What are the differences besides one preventing new tank syndrome and the other provides a slime coat?

14. Dom90

What did you purchase, when you say you bought both? The product that prevents new tank syndrome basically contains bacteria in a bottle to help your bio-filter establish itself faster.

15. OP
    OP
    mearatiara

Seachem Prime and Stability.

16. Dom90

Oh ok, I was also confused about what you had purchase. Prime is used as a water conditioner/dechlorinator that you should always use the right dose for whenever you do a water change. The added bonus is that it detoxifies ammonia and nitrite before your filter can process the ammonia and nitrite. It also has another feature that helps promote the natural production of slime coat.

Stability should be used whenever you are cycling a new tank to prevent new tank syndrome (which is when fish to die off from high amounts of ammonia in an uncycled tank). This product gives the nitrogen cycle a boost by adding bacteria to your water column and speeds up your cycle.

17. LiterallyHydro

In most circumstances I would suggest Prime over other dechlorinators, if only because it's more concentrated so you save money by not needing as much of it. I do believe Stress Coat is also excellent but is more expensive since you need to add a lot more of it to dechlorinate the water.

And as far as Stability goes, I consider it to be the second best bottled bacteria product. I would place Tetra Safe Start over Stability, but I do believe they both work very well if you follow the instructions exactly as they are labeled.

18. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I have only used TSS and had great success with it. Alison

19. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

Fish regenerate their own slime coat. They don't need any help.

I prefer Haloex to Prime. It's just as concentrated, and doesn't smell ( I don't like the smell of Prime). Haloex doesn't do chloramine but I'm ok with that).

20. S

Stephanie2015 Valued Member Member

Seachem products ftw!! ;D

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice