What is the difference between Demasoni and Saulosi cichlids?

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known
Just as the title suggests what is the difference? Also, what is the main difference between these two and yellow labs? Are they all the same species? Are they different aside from colouring? Will they all crossbreed without any thought?

MacZ

Well Known
They are different enough to be two separate species. BUT they are from the same genus (Chindongo) so as per usual for many Malawi cichlids, they technically should be able to mix. But possibly the colouration difference could be responsible for the differentiation between C. saulosi and C. demansoni.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Both Saulosi & Demasoni are members of the Pseudotropbeus species. Both male & female Demasoni are blue. The Female Saulosi is yellow, while the male is blue.
I believe the Saulosi grows a bit larger than the Demasoni.

MacZ

Well Known
A201 said:
Both Saulosi & Demasoni are members of the Pseudotropbeus species. Both male & female Demasoni are blue. The Female Saulosi is yellow, while the male is blue.
I believe the Saulosi grows a bit larger than the Demasoni.
Pseudotropheus is, as Chindongo, a genus. The second word (like demasoni or saulosi) denotes the species. They were taxonomicly taken out of Pseudotropheus and put into the Genus Chindongo in 2016.
And both are often said to be the smaller species, but in the end both stay around 8cm. I guess that clinged on because both stay smaller than your usual Mbuna. ;)

OP
AQUA_LOVER

AQUA_LOVER

Well Known
So are they essentially a mutation of the same species kind of like wolf and dog or are there more differences to them than that?

MacZ

Well Known
No. They are closely related but distinct species like coyote and wolf.

Wolf and dog are wild and domesticated versions of the same species.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Other than the obvious physical differences & color variations, virtually every Mbuna type I've ever kept behaved the same. A dominant male or pair claimed a rock territory, & defended it against all comers. All were feisty, some more feisty than others.
The same will likely hold true with Demasoni & Saulosi.

New Threads