Question What is the difference between Bolivian and GBR?

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
How can you tell the difference between bolivian and gbr? I'm curious because my rams that I purchased about a month ago look different from all the previous gbrs I've owned.

BreederGuy23

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
can you read my post rare pleco oh and back to your question i think itis thier color variety there is also the long finned ram.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
I'll try to borrow my daughter's camera tonight and post pictures. I purchased GBRs, but noticed that this pair is very different in the face and eye coloring. My previous rams always had red coloring in their eyes and the slope of the face is somehow different.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll try to borrow my daughter's camera tonight and post pictures. I purchased GBRs, but noticed that this pair is very different in the face and eye coloring. My previous rams always had red coloring in their eyes and the slope of the face is somehow different.
I don't have enough experience with GBRs to feel confident in stating that their eyes are always red, but I can't recall ever seeing one without red eyes.

If your fish doesn't have red eyes and doesn't look like the pictures of bolivian rams in the threads I liked to earlier, then pictures would be quite helpful.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
I checked out the pictures on your links as well as others on the web. And, to me their faces look bolivian, however they have the blue coloring more like gbr. I'll post a picture for those more familiar with rams. This is only my 3rd pair, so I am definitely no expert.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Here are some pictures. Seeing them, I now believe I have Bolivians. What do you think?

Last edited:

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Thanks. Now, can you tell if they are male and female? One is much more aggressive than the other, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
can you tell if they are male and female?
The only way to know for certain is to examine the ventral area, between the pectoral and analfins. Look at the sexing thread linked to above for exactly what to look for.

Without being able to see the breeding tube clearly, it's hard to say for sure. The picture titled 'One of my Rams' may be a female, and the one titled 'The other Ram' looks male.

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, I think I have both sexes, but am not positive. Guess I'll just have to be more patient. They were pretty young when I bought them as they had little to no color for several weeks. The two I have are not pairing up, which is why I asked. And, they are temporarily in my 29 gallon....too small IMO for another pair.

Eventually I plan on moving them into my 90 gallon....once the algae gets under control. I lost my GBRs (the first two pairs were definitely german) when the algae bloom started. Guess I need to create caves to keep them happier in a community tank.

Thank you for your feedback mathas. Much appreciated!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom