What Is The Difference Between API Fungus Cure and Methylene Blue?

SquidBones

So recently my betta injured themselves and got a fungal infection in their mouth. A helpful user suggested in a very detailed post that it was Saprolegnia and to treat the tank with a anti-fungal medication called Methylene Blue. However before I received their suggestion I had already begun treating the tank with API Fungus Cure and slightly raised the temperature to 82°F. I want what is best for my fish, but I am curious. What is the actual difference between the two medications? Will API Fungus Cure work as an alternative medication for Saprolegnia? If not, what kind of diseases does API Fungus Cure work for?
I apologize in advance if this topic is in the wrong thread, I saw no dedicated medication thread but perhaps I missed it.

Rose of Sharon

Hi,

API fungus cure is a combination of a type of malachite green and acriflavin, which is an antiseptic. The Victoria Geen (type of malachite green), which is a staining agent, and acriflavin together both fight fungus (yes, including Saprolegnia). If you refer to the chart that comes with the med, it should detail all of the things that it can do. You can also go to the API site and read about the med there.

Methylene blue is a medicated dye which will coat the affected area and actually help to prevent the spread of the fungus. It is used to fight some forms of fungus, and can be used to help in the healing of various injuries by coating the affected area. The dye only stains the injuried area.

Both can stain the sealent in your tank, but when I used Fungus Cure, I did not find that it stained very badly. The MB, on the other hand, did stain pretty badly. If you do try to use MB, I would use a QT tank, or use it in a bath in a separate container. Both are probably good to have on hand. Do not use both of them at the same time.

I hope this helps!

Edit: There is a sticky on the freshwater disease page with a long list of meds and what they are used for.

Medications, ingredients and fish disease treated

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
SeaMonkey06
Replies