What is the brown build up on everything ?

lovethosefish
My water is finally crystal clear , but now there is a brown substance on almost everything in the tank. My fish even seem to be eating it . My albino sharks are cleaning areas that they are eating , but they can't keep up with the build up . Will this stuff hurt them ? The brown stuff is even in my tubes leading to and from the filter .
What in the world is this stuff , please help . I hope something as simple as cleaning everything will cure this problem . Or is it a problem ? I don't even no what it is .

King_Snuggles
diatoms. its a algy that grows in new tanks. algy eaters treat it like candy its good for them. you can keep wiping it off but it will go away in around 6 months.

lovethosefish
I was thinking about taking everything out of my tank and doing an extreme cleaning tomarrow . But I guess I will think about it a little more now . I will research diatoms some more. Thank You for giving me something to work with .

Butterfly
This is just one of the stages new tanks go through If you take everything out and clean it the tank will go through a mini-cycle. Just grit your teeth. You can reach in and clean things a bit with your fingers if you want then when doing gravel vacs clean it up some.
Carol

lovethosefish
I have sand , but I won't take out everything and clean it . I have pleco , 2 loaches , and 2 albino sharks . They should do a fine job of cleaning it up , shouldnt they ? My fish also seem to be eating it . Will it also leave the tubing in time ? It looks nasty , like I haven't cleaned my tank . YUK !!!!

Butterfly
It should leave in time, if the fishes are eating it let them have their treat
Carol

shooter_tx
My tank is going through this as well.

I understand (now, after reading this thread) that it's a temporary problem, but......

If your tank size and temperament will allow it, would getting a bottom-feeder or algae eater type help?

capekate
shooter_tx said:
My tank is going through this as well.

I understand (now, after reading this thread) that it's a temporary problem, but......

If your tank size and temperament will allow it, would getting a bottom-feeder or algae eater type help?
HI Shooter,
In my experience I have found that the oto does a wonderful job of cleaning up the diatoms. they love the stuff! I had three in my tank for awhile and they did a great job... but more oto's the better!

~ kate

King_Snuggles
yeah I agree with capekate I have otos as well and they treat the stuff like candy!

FL CommunityFans
I have 2 snails and a clown pleco that completely decimated the diatoms we had going on. It was insane. Took a complete wall that had become covered and cleaned it spotless in less than a week.

shooter_tx
Thanks for the info and advice, capekate, K_S, and FL CF.

FL CF: As much as I'd like one, I probably shouldn't put a clown pleco in my 10gal. I've already got a Cory cat, as well as two and a half red mickey mouse platys. I've seen various descriptions that put the clown plecos as anywhere from 3.5" to 5.5" fish. It may technically "fit," but I wouldn't want to put any 5.5" fish in a 10gal. Maybe when I get another tank..... :;gift

So what kind of snails are we talking about?

nugzboltz
Shooter, do you still have diatoms? Mine lasted for about 2-3 weeks, then was gone like it had never existed with no outside assistance.

shooter_tx
They fluctuate, but still haven't gone away completely.

Top Bottom