What is the bio load of glass catfish? Question 

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would love to add a school of six to my heavily planted 55 gallon, but I’m afraid they would push the limits of my stocking.

My parameters before my weekly water changes of 50% are 0, 0, 10-20. And that is with adding Thrive fertilizer.

Attached is my current stocking. But instead of the chain Loach, I actually have a golden zebra Loach. The aquadvisor doesn’t have the zebra Loach in their system.

Can I get away with adding these guys, or should I just stick with my current stock.

Thanks for any advice.
IMG_5613.jpg

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You already have six different types of schooling fish not being kept in schools. Seven actually, if you include the loach which is a shoaling fish that also belongs in a group. So no, I would not add ghost cats as the current stock is already inappropriate.

Bioload-wise, 6 little ghost cats wouldn't add much. But I find it interesting that you want to buy them as a school of 6 when you already have 7 other species that require groups and are only being kept in pairs.

I highly recommend you rethink the current stock before adding more. You should consider picking no more than 2 or 3 types of schoolers and give each of them an appropriate school and rehome the rest.

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bizaliz3 said:
You already have six different types of schooling fish not being kept in schools. Seven actually, if you include the loach which is a shoaling fish that also belongs in a group. So no, I would not add ghost cats as the current stock is already inappropriate.

Bioload-wise, 6 little ghost cats wouldn't add much. But I find it interesting that you want to buy them as a school of 6 when you already have 7 other species that require groups and are only being kept in pairs.

I highly recommend you rethink the current stock before adding more. You should consider picking no more than 2 or 3 types of schoolers and give each of them an appropriate school and rehome the rest.
Thanks for the input. The 6 rainbows (praecox, boesemans, and turquoise) all school together just fine. They even try to spawn together. The tetras are left over from earlier schools. They had a massive die off when I left my husband in charge of a water change while I was out of town. I don’t plan on replacing them. And the Loach is all on me. He was actually the first fish I got 2 years ago. I did no research on him, so I wasn’t aware that he was a schooling fish. Once I found out, I’ve been back to the local pet stores to get more, but I’ve never seen them since the day I bought him.

So, with that being said, you’re saying that the glass cats have a low bio load?

Thanks again.

bizaliz3

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LeahsTank said:
Thanks for the input. The 6 rainbows (praecox, boesemans, and turquoise) all school together just fine. They even try to spawn together. The tetras are left over from earlier schools. They had a massive die off when I left my husband in charge of a water change while I was out of town. I don’t plan on replacing them. And the Loach is all on me. He was actually the first fish I got 2 years ago. I did no research on him, so I wasn’t aware that he was a schooling fish. Once I found out, I’ve been back to the local pet stores to get more, but I’ve never seen them since the day I bought him.

So, with that being said, you’re saying that the glass cats have a low bio load?

Thanks again.
Stuff happens. I understand that!

As for bioload...I don't know....I am not sure exactly how you "measure" bioload. I can just say that they are relatively small fish that do not produce a lot of poop and they are clean eaters, so I would guess the bioload isn't that huge.

But if you are that close to reaching your max for bioload, I would save that extra "space" for the hopes of finding more buddies for your loach.

Can you ask any of your fish stores if they will order them for you? Most of my fish stores are usually pretty willing to do that. Not immediately after I ask...but at least in the near future. I suggest you try that rather than adding another species to the tank.

But that's just me.

LeahsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
bizaliz3 said:
Stuff happens. I understand that!

As for bioload...I don't know....I am not sure exactly how you "measure" bioload. I can just say that they are relatively small fish that do not produce a lot of poop and they are clean eaters, so I would guess the bioload isn't that huge.

But if you are that close to reaching your max for bioload, I would save that extra "space" for the hopes of finding more buddies for your loach.

Can you ask any of your fish stores if they will order them for you? Most of my fish stores are usually pretty willing to do that. Not immediately after I ask...but at least in the near future. I suggest you try that rather than adding another species to the tank.

But that's just me.
Unfortunately, when I was looking for my pearl gourami, I asked repeatedly for them (Petco) to order one for me. They would take my name and number and said they would call me when it came in. After 4 months, it never did. I lucked out and found one when I was out of town at a non chain pet store. But that store is too far for me to drive to get more, even if they would order for me. I really wish I could find more, because I really like his personality and I can tell that he really wants friends. He actually tries to swim with the rainbows and the pearl. Poor guy.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom