What is the biggest tank your seen on an unsupported floor?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lanlesnee, Mar 30, 2010.

1. l

lanlesnee Well Known Member Member

I was wondering what's the biggest tank you've guys/gals have seen in a house that didn't have extra braces under the floor to hold it up.

Concrete floors don't count. I'm talking wood floors here.

Every time I see a really big tank I can't help but wonder if they braced the floor or not.

2. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

I've seen a 55 gal on a wooden floor. It was crazy because the floor was still stable and they had no supports to hold the weight downstairs... :eek:

3. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

55gal wouldn't pose any problem on a wooden floor unless the house was really old or the foundations were not solid for some reason. I know of several 120gal tanks that are on unsupported wooden floors & in most cases that shouldn't be a problem. I can't recommend it though as building codes are different in every country. I have 155gal worth af tanks supported on one stand over one section of wooden floor. Does that count as being equal to one large tank over an unsupported wooden floor? Being clever aobut stand design makes a big difference to how much weight a floor can hold over a long period of time to.

4. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I went to a house last week and the guy had a 150 upstairs with a big wooden cabinet. The entire thing had to be close to a ton. He had only just moved in a few months ago so long term effects are unknown.

The important thing is to remember is to distribute the weight across the floor beams. The width of my 55 that's upstairs runs parallel with the floor beams. I could put a bigger tank there but I'm scared to do so since it's probably only on one beam. Try to go perpendicular to your floor beams for the best support.

5. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

Another factor would be the dimensions of the tank. For a 55 gallon, the weight is distributed across the 4 foot length of the tank.

6. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

That depends on the the type of stand too. A metal stand with only 4 legs is applying a lot of pressure on those four legs. A wooden stand with the bottom of the stand touching the floor all around will be better.

7. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

Good point. The stand I built for my 55 is evenly distributed all the way around. The base is two 2x4 frame all the way around so the weight is distributed evenly.

8. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

You don't need to brace a wooden floor anyway, just put jiffy hangers on every joist supporting the weight. Job done and cheap.
    Nick

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Great post.

Doubling up tanks is more risky than getting a big tank. If you were to get a double 55 stand (with 2 55's), there would be a lot more pressure/stress on the floor than if you got one 120 gallon tank.

10. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

The biggest I've seen is my 90g, which is sitting in the middle of the house (extremely close to the central support beam), and runs across the floor joists (spreading its weight across a half dozen or more of them).

11. D

David C Well Known Member Member

I've seen the 125's, but they're 6ft long. My brother had a 220 but it was supported. It's really pretty easy to support a floor if you're worried, better safe than sorry.

Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice