What is the best way to transfer my betta from 2L bowl to new 10 gallon tank?

eepruls
Hi,

I have had my male betta in a 2 L (1/2 gallon) goldfish bowl for over a year and he's doing well. I do take care of him but I hate that he swims in circles and has nowhere to hide. I brought out my 10 gallon tank and have been cycling it (fishless of course) to prepare it to be his new home (all by himself!).

Once I'm finished the cycle and everything's good to go, what is the best way to transfer him from his room temperature goldfish bowl to the heated tank? Should I put him in a ziplock bag and float him in the tank as if he was a new fish from the store?

I just want to ensure he's comfortable and not overly stressed during his transfer from his 1 bedroom apartment to his new four star luxury suite! I mean, even though it's small, he's survived all this time!

Thanks in advance Betta peeps!

Blub
Hi!

Read FL's article on adding fish. Just do that!

Chief_waterchanger
You can put him in a small bowl or cup That has not had detergents used on them and float it in the new tank for 10-15 minutes and then release him.

chickadee
Yes the ZipLoc baggie will work like you just brought him home from the fish store as well only you do not have to keep adding the tank water like your would as the water from the bowl and the tank will have the same general parameters. They both came from your tap after all. Just make sure that the temperature change is allowed for by floating him either in the cup like Dave mentioned or a baggie (new one) and he will be fine. 10 or 15 minutes of floating will take care of it and then release him and he will probably not believe it is all his.

I have seen bettas who have gone from bowls to large tanks that are so surprised to be in all the finery that they just hang in the middle of the tank for a while before they start to swim trying to take it all in and then they swim for hours investigating so please do not be concerned if he does not eat for a day or so because he is going to be so BUSY just looking everything over. BUT it will be because he is so HAPPY that he cannot be stopped even to eat.

Rose

eepruls
Haha. That's awesome. I'll see how he reacts when I get him in there. Thanks!

LuvaBetta
Haha. That's awesome. I'll see how he reacts when I get him in there. Thanks!

That's my very favorite part - watching that first exploration and imagining what they're thinking...

eepruls
He should love it. I've got 3 java ferns and a big fake piece of wood with holes and places to hide. I think his colour will be much better under the fluorescent light. He's orange with dark red spots on his tail. In the goldfish bowl he's kind of dull. He should be much nicer to watch.

Amorinthe
do we get to see pictures of your beautiful fish and his lovely new home?

chickadee
Orange with red spots means he is a Dalmation Betta and that is a very special kind of betta. They bring a pretty penny on the internet when you purchase them from a breeder or dealer. They are very beautiful indeed. I look forward to those pictures. Does he have a name? We like to call our bettas by name here as they are the reason we are here after all and they have such vivid personalities. I do apologize if you mentioned it and I have overlooked it I could not seem to see it.

Please do be sure to tell us the story of the introduction to the tank. We do love stories too.

Rose

COBettaCouple
I like to put them in a tall cup and acclimate them, but a ziplock bag would work just as well. As long as he gets slowly adjusted to temp & chemistry, he'll be good and probably will start exploring his new palace right off.

Don't feed him that day before transferring him.

eepruls
I don't know if he's a dalmation betta. I got him at Wal-Mart for $5 so I doubt it! His body is all one colour but all his fins have distinctive red/dark orange splotches. I'll get a good picture or video and post it. Stand by.

COBettaCouple
Actually, I see Dalmations at walmart .. poor little guys. Wish we could bring them all home.

chickadee
ANY Betta with spots is considered a Dalmation whether it be blue/white; orange/red; yellow/orange; blue/yellow or whatever combo. It is the spotting that makes them Dalmations so if he has spots, he is a Dalmation, no matter where he came from. They are now in Veiltails, Halfmoons, and Deltas. I have yet to see a Crowntail or Combtail but I believe they are out there.

Congratulations.

Rose

Blub
Hi!

A dalmation is really something to brag about. I have trouble finding Cambodians in the UK - I only see reds and blues regularly. And - yesterday - the second time I've ever even seen a Cambodian dad stopped me reserving him because he thought he looked a little 'dull'. Well of course he was dull dad - he was in a tank full of tetras! Not every Betta is as bold as MalachaI - he was actually looking quite good! Sorry, I really had to rant their, I now have to wait 2 months to find a Betta that I like...

eepruls
I added a picture of my betta to my signature as well as in this post. It's a small thumbnail and if you click it leads to a larger version. This is Stewie (my betta) in his 2L goldfish bowl with one of those plants. His 10 gallon tank is in the midst of a cycle. I've had him since Dec. 2006. He looks even better when all his fins are fully extended. In this pic his dorsal fin is down.

199.jpg

capekate
Stewie is gorgeous! ;D He looks like a dalmation to me.

~ kate

COBettaCouple
I love him! He reminds me of Sora, the peach dalmation we had. He's a handsome Betta and beautiful coloring.

Blub
Hi!

That's a really lovely Dalmation Betta!

chickadee
He is indeed a very beautiful Dalmation betta. I can hardly wait to see more pics of him in his new digs. Congratulations on the lovely little guy. Please do not tell Stewie that I called him lovely and beautiful. He is handsome! But I got carried away. I do know the males prefer to be called handsome. It is a grandma thing and I am certainly the age group to qualify.

Rose

eepruls
Thanks for the nice comments! I should be getting him into the bigger tank by the end of the week. I think he's gonna look really nice under the fluorescent light.

COBettaCouple
It's kinda wild, but our Betta Mickey HATES blue-spectrum FL tubes. He played sick fishie when we first put him in his 6.6g bookshelf tank with the tube it came with but instantly was a happy boy when I swapped the tube for a 4700k natural sunlight tube. I think those bring out the Betta colors best and are good for plants at the same time.

eepruls
Good to know. I shall keep that in mind. I think the light that's on the tank hood is just a regular Wal-Mart fluorescent type (they only sell one type). When I need a new light, I'll consider one of those!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
RedLoredAmazon
Replies
Views
Biiba
Top Bottom